Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

My blood pressure reading is 157 over 108 with pulse of 66.

My blood pressure reading is 157 over 108 with pulse of 66. Yesterday BP reading was 178-101 pulse 61. Is this ok or should I see my Doctor?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
No this is not okay.
You need to go to ER.
The range of systolic blood pressure for most healthy adults falls between 90 and 120 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg). Normal diastolic blood pressure ranges between 60 and 80 mm Hg.
Your both the blood pressure readings: 157/108 and 178/101 are very high.
An elevation of the systolic and/or diastolic blood pressure increases the risk of developing heart (cardiac) disease, kidney (renal) disease, hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis or arteriosclerosis), eye damage, and stroke (brain damage).
The goal of treatment is to reduce blood pressure so that you can have a lower risk of complications.
These blood pressure reading cannot be ignored.So I advise you to go to ER for examination & tests & then treatment will be done accordingly to lower your blood pressure.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would 'rest' or a holiday help?
Dear customer
Thank you for replying back.
I can understand that it is difficult to believe this high blood pressure.
If your blood pressure was slighty higher then rest/holiday or stress busters would have work.
But your blood pressure is very high & without medications it will not come down normal.
Blood pressure reading should not be very high of prolonged time as this increases the risk of complications:heart/kidney disease or stroke.
So without any second thought in mind,I strongly advise you to go to ER as you need anti hypertensive medication to treat this.
Rest or holiday will not have much effect.
Hope this helped.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was advised by one Doctor to take Amlodipine when my blood pressure was this high three weeks ago...then a week after this advice I saw my own Doctor who took my BP which was normal so he said to buy a BP Monitor...so I have the tablets BUT in reading the side affects I would rather NOT take them...
dear customer,
Because your blood pressure reading initially was higher,then when your doctor checked it-it come out to be normal,& again it is high-I do not advise you to take amlodipine without consulting your doctor.
You first need to get it checked by your doctor & then anti hypertensive medication will be prescribed accordingly.
Hope this helped.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert