Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have a burning sensation and dull pain in my right shoulder

Customer Question

I have a burning sensation and dull pain in my right shoulder blade it has been very itchy, the dull pain transfers through to my right breast, lately the pain although intermittent has now traveled to the side of my right breast, I am a 65 year old male.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-
Since how long you are having this pain?
Do you have any known medical illness?
Is there any numbness in arm?
Does this pain gets aggravated/increase upon exertion?
I am waiting for your reply..
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The ache and burning sensation has been there for at least 3 weeks.

i am stage 2 diabetic.

i take medication also for hypertension.

no numbness in upper limbs and the pain is not exaggerated on exertion.

Dear customer,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.
The burning sensation & dull pain you are having in right shoulder blade & right side of upper chest is most likely because of neuropathy or nerve root compression.
As you have history of diabetes,the diabetic neuropathy seems to be the most probable cause of your symptoms.
This is due to complication of diabetes.It is a peripheral nerve disorder caused by diabetes or poor blood sugar control. High blood sugar can injure nerve fibers anywhere in the body.
Burning pain sensation is a typical symptom of neuropathy.
Physical examination, including nervous system (neurological) and sensory tests,electromyography(EMG) diagnose neuropathies.An x-ray will rule out other causes like degeneration/nerve root compression.
This pain is not due to heart disease or anything serious/dangerous.
Treatment is to control the blood sugar level with prescription medications.Analgesics, low doses of antidepressants, and some anticonvulsant medications may be prescribed for relief of pain, burning
So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor to have these tests done so as to confirm the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert