Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Up to 3 months ago, I was taking the anti depressant Lexapro

Up to 3 months ago, I was taking the anti depressant Lexapro 20 mg and feel that I need it again. Would this be normal and can I purchase it on line?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Why did you stop the Lexapro? And, before we go on I need to tell you that we don't provide prescriptions on line for a patient we haven't actually seen face to face since that is illegal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had been on it for 6 months and had reached the end of the prescription term, had been feeling better in terms of overall mental health & attitude and wanted to see could I manage without it

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK James and what's going on now that makes you think you need it again?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

a general sense of down-ness and very low self esteem, not much hope

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. What kind of doctor prescribed it for you and can't you see him again?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

GP and quite frankly I and not comfortable to "admit" to this again, this has been a feature of my life over 20 years

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I understand. The problem with treating oneself--as in getting medication over the internet--is that it really isn't a doctor treating a patient. There's nothing to be ashamed about when one has depression--it's a true medical condition and it can be a chemical imbalance where you tell yourself there's no reason to be depressed and you should be able to keep up a stiff lip and bite the bullet on your own. That's like saying that one can think down their hight blood sugar or think down their high blood pressure. I strongly suggest you go back to your doctor and discuss this with him. As doctors we don't judge patients. We see depression for what it is--a medical condition like high blood pressure.