Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Good morning.. hope u are well.. Im wanting to discuss hr

Customer Question

Good morning.. hope u are well.. Im wanting to discuss hr .. Mine is usually steady at 60 to 70 bpm... Yesterday it was acting a little strange.. It was beating around 65 -70 then for a brief few secs it would suddenly drop to around 57 then go back to beating around 70.. I used a fingertip oximeter.. I've checked today and not noticed any problem.. Is this another symptom to do with the slight thickening?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Morning Shazad. What's your blood pressure like?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
125/80 - 130/90
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. Absolutely nothing wrong here. Everybody's pulse varies from time to time but yours is good even with the variation you mentioned. And this has nothing to do with your septal thickening--that wouldn't produce any symptoms at all since it isn't really anything to worry about as you've been told before
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You always put my mind at ease... Is the bp not worrying?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, your BP is fine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok another quick one before I go because got guests coming round (dreaded in laws lol) .. I've been avoiding the gym because of this septal thickness in the last 2 weeks whereas before I used to look forward to going... Am I putting myself at any risk by going back to the gym?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, no risk at all Shazad--much more risk with your inlaws.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Haha .. So I can do as much cardio as I like without risking any dangerous arythmias? Also shall I resume on my weights but not go as heavy as i usually do? If I do lighter weights but higher repetitions then that isn't thickening my heart muscle?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Just to check here--what exactly did your cardiologist say about that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Basically he has no concerns at the thickness its at but told me that if I want it to go back lower then lay off heavy weights slightly
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--just wanted to check. No problem at all then with resuming your workout.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks.. Catch you later no doubt... Have a nice day Dr
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You too my friend
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr.. I've been out for a bite to eat and I've come back and my hr Is around 100. .. Should I be worried?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. What's the rate now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's ok.. U work such long hours.. Anyway it's around 83.. It's probably the food.. HR faster to help my stomach digest it.. Or could be the caffeine from a cup of tea I had with also a Shisha pipe we smoked ( flavoured tobacco) oh and some anxiety thrown into the mix
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
The caffeine and the nicotine both work together to raise the heart rate. And since some blood is diverted to the intestines for digestion and absorption that can also raise the heart rate a bit. Just a triple punch when you put all three together but nothing to worry about Shazad
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The shisha doesn't have nicotine.. It's just one of these middle Eastern type of cafe's where people go for flavoured tobacco.. The hr drops even more when I'm lying down.. Anyway I didnt intend to carry on with this on this existing question but the new one I created and I even sent it to u was picked up by a Dr Phil.. He's not that good
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry but I assume all tobacco has nicotine. Stick with me if you can my friend.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Anyway you remember the other day I was worried about going back to work because I was too scared that I would drop dead of SCD? Well work work are letting me go back next week on reduced hours for one week so that I can ease myself back in.. I know ive asked this time and time again.. I'm definately not at risk of any sort with the mild thickness? And even if it was HCM then that grows slowly and wouldnt grow to a SCD risk level in 6 months? Sorry for sounding like a broken record.. Anyway that's all, one you have answered this then I'm going to sleep.. It's not fair on you to have to answer on this question that was already completed earlier today
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
The mild thickness puts you at zero risk for anything like sudden cardiac death Shazad. And yes HCM develops very slowly. I have absolutely no problem with any of your questions my friend.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks doc.. What hours do u work here?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

I'm usually around--with some breaks from time to time--from 7AM until midnight eastern daylight time in the US. I was out to dinner when you posted your last question that Dr Phil answered

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok it 1:49 am here in the UK.. What time is it there?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
9:51 PM. Looks like you're four hours ahead of me but that may be five hours since we're still on daylight savings time for another month
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah our clocks have just gone back one hour about an hour ago
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Anyway you are always here.. When do u actually see your real patients lol?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Spring forward, fall back as the saying goes. I just checked an we do that next Sunday. You Brits always seem to be just a little more forward looking than we Yanks. I see patients Monday through Friday but always check here between them
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lol yeah .. Anyway doc always a pleasure speaking with u.. Will chat tomorrow as I'm back at work on monday and will probably be a bit anxious so might call on u.. Goodnight
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh and the old ticker is now beating away nicely at 75-80 bpm.. So it was probably just panic driven
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I look forward to that my friend and you need to get to bed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
G'nite doc
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Cheers