Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I was prescribed norethisterone by the doctor to take four

I was prescribed norethisterone by the doctor to take four days before my period as im 50 yrs old with mild endometriosis , never had treatment for it, but get extremely heavy bleeding for 3 days making life v difficult. I was given it so I could use before my holiday tomorrow and therefore delay my period just for the time I was away as my period was due during the holiday. Unfortunately I did not start my period 3 weeks ago when it was due so not sure now whether I should start taking the pills now as if my period had happened I would be starting these tablets on Tues 28th! Since I've had no last period I don't know what to do even though I've had severe pms systems since it was due 3 weeks ago but no bleeding! I'm doing a long haul flight which may bring period in next 15 hours so may have to risk getting it or can I stRt pills now in the hope I get no period for next 10 days. I don't want to do anything that is dangerous for my health or mess up system anymore than it is, and also take one 75mg aspirin per day and 5mg of Crestor statin. I also see from leaflet there can be discolouration of skin and since I'll be in sunshine am aware of this. Really need some advice urgently as I fly in 15 hours on a 9 hour flight thank you so much
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Hasan :

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want.

Dr. Hasan :

You have basically two questions that whether you should start taking the pill now or not?

Dr. Hasan :

The answer is yes, you can.

Dr. Hasan :

as your case is unusual where you don't know about your last period, yes you can start taking it now and it will delay your bleeding.

Dr. Hasan :

Your second question is about discoloration of skin secondary to use of this medicine.

Dr. Hasan :

It is not so. According to recommendations, if you are prone to a skin condition called chloasma, you shouldn't expose yourself to sunlight.

Dr. Hasan :

So if you have such skin lesion, you should avoid sunlight and can where necessary, you can use sun block.

Dr. Hasan :

If you don't have any such skin problem, you are not going to have this side effect .

Customer: I forgot to say that I took this pill for 8 days at the end of aug then had really what wS a spotting period but nothing since but feel like im about to have a period all the time lol!
Dr. Hasan :

Yes I am sorry to hear about all this and can understand that fear of having period all the times can be so distressing.

Dr. Hasan :

But even then you can start your tablet prescribed by your doctor.

Customer: I do have slight discolouration on my arms which has happened the last few years but don't know what it's called I use high protection on those areas 30-50 factor
Dr. Hasan :

Is it a whitish discoloration or the area has darkened only?

Customer: Ok great so if I start tonight I can only take one pill then begin tomorrow the normal 3 per day for next week if my period starts tomorrow shall I just stop taking the pill and also will it interfere with aspirin and statin
Customer: darkenrd skin only and only in front of arm from wrist to halfway between elbow that it is
Customer: skin around it has no patches
Dr. Hasan :

Do you have any diagnosed medical problem?

Dr. Hasan :

Just ask this question for your further help.

Dr. Hasan :

To answer your question, yes you can take your pills the way you have described and it should be stopped if you get your period somehow.

Dr. Hasan :

You can take these pills with your aspirin and statin, there is no interaction.

Dr. Hasan :

No that is not likely to be chloasma but to be on safe side you can use your sun block and can try to wear full sleeves while you are out in sun but no major protection required as such.

Dr. Hasan :

Are you with me?

Dr. Hasan :

Just to clarify, you shouldn't stop this tablet if you get your period.

Customer: yes I have endometriosis which was only discovered after my appendix was taken out so never had treatment but will go for gyny appointment in next few weeks,
Customer: and high cholesterol genetic not diet
Dr. Hasan :

It should be continued because it is suppose to stop the abnormal period.

Customer: only been on Crestor and aspirin one yesr
Dr. Hasan :

Yes in that case, you are not likely to get any problem from these tablets.

Customer: confused re stopping tablets as if period starts as im 3 weeks late with all symptoms of it starting and have only taken maybe one or 2 pills by tomorrow won't that be normal period as pills won't have had time to kick in
Dr. Hasan :

No you can continue even that because you ultimately want to stop the period.

Dr. Hasan :

Isn't it so?

Customer: the period I had after these pills 7 weeks ago wasn't really a period! Just spotting for 2 days
Customer: Yes I want to stop it ok get it now taking the pills if it comes will mean lighter period or will stop it midway is that right?
Dr. Hasan :

Yes now you have gotten my point :)

Customer: And I stop pills when I want my period to start in one weeks time
Dr. Hasan :

Absolutely yes

Customer: Awww good ok will take one now and start tomorrow and if period comes carry on taking hope it stops then stop pills when I want to or if I get side effects
Dr. Hasan :

Hopefully you will not get any side effects.

Customer: Sorry to bother you with this bit the side effects scared me especially with long haul flights though I wear special socks!
Dr. Hasan :

Don't stress yourself and start with good hopes.

Customer: Thank you so much for all your help
Dr. Hasan :

No don't worry about flight related side effects specially when you are wearing special stockings.

Dr. Hasan :

Good luck for everything including your holidays.

Customer: Will my pms symptoms go or not?
Dr. Hasan :

Likely yes

Customer: Thank you
Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome.

Dr. Hasan :

Anything else I can help you with

Customer: No that is all have a good day much aporeciTed!
Dr. Hasan :

I wish you all the best. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer: I will how do I save this info?
Dr. Hasan :

You can copy paste it in MS word.

Dr. Hasan :

You can visit this page anytime to read all this.

Customer: Ok will rate excellent service now!
Dr. Hasan :

Thank you :)

Dr. Hasan :

Dr. Hasan :

You can rate the answer in the rating menu given on this page.

Dr. Hasan :

If you get any inconvenience let me know please.

Customer: Will this answer be in my account as I can't copy it on ipad
Dr. Hasan :

Yes it will remain in your account.

Dr. Hasan :

You can view it anytime.

Customer: Great!
Dr. Hasan :

:)