Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My daughter (30 years old) as been rushed to hospital and diagnosed

My daughter (30 years old) as been rushed to hospital and diagnosed with alcohol related liver failure. Is there any chances of survival? If not, how long can it take her to pass away?
Many thanks and regards
Stephan Werdefroy
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

I am sorry that you and your daughter are going through this.

If this is solely from acute liver failure due to alcohol intake, then the odds of survival of the acute episode is excellent. If she has an acute exacerbation of chronic liver dysfunction, then the odds may not be as good, although the severity of the liver dysfunction would also impact the likelihood of survival.

Do you know whether she was having problems with chronic liver dysfunction prior to this acute episode?
If so, do you have any of the lab work to demonstrate the severity of the liver dysfunction?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She suffered from severe liver dysfunction for the last 5 years with incredibly high gamma count. I do not have any lab report at hand.

Thanks again.

Since she has been having severe liver dysfunction for the last 5 years, then the prognosis is generally not as good. With aggressive management, the mortality rate is about half what it once was, now with an average mortality rate of about 40%.

There are several clinical or lab features that are a sign of a worse prognosis, such as a significantly prolonged prothrombin time (a measure of the clotting proteins made by the liver), abnormal brain function related to the liver failure (called encephalopathy), or jaundice that preceded the onset of liver failure and encephalopathy by a week or more. If someone has more of these factors, then the prognosis is worse than average, but if there are none or only one of these factors present, then the prognosis is better than average.

If you can get the lab results, then I can tell you whether some of these factors are present, but without further information, the best that can be said is the average prognosis, which is a survival rate of 60%.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.