Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

I am 63 years old and have just been diagnosed with duplex

I am 63 years old and have just been diagnosed with duplex kidney on my left side and awaiting a ct scan should I be worried ???? Duplex kidney was found when I had ultra sound, but have to have ct scan to deter what the duplex is ?????

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

This is a common birth defect and is found in about 1 percent of autopsies

Dr. K. :

It can run in families so there is about a 30 percent chance that you also have a relative with this

Dr. K. :

It means the collecting system in the kidney is double There may be a single or double ureter

Dr. K. :

Since you have lived with it your whole life, it is an incidental finding and means nothing. It has no impact at all on your health or longevity

Customer:

I believe the reason I have to have a ct is because the ultra sound did not show all. Is it possible that what the ultra sound showed is something else (tumour or cyst)

Dr. K. :

Not likely since they specifically noted duplex. Could also be a renal cyst but those are also common and benign. I highly doubt a tumor since what they are seeing appears fluid filled.