Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi, My little boy is 4 yrs old and has had trouble with

My little boy is 4 yrs old and has had trouble with his bowels since birth, he is on movocal that you put into juice and is also taking 2.5 mls of lactalose every day and has done for the past 3 yrs, he has constant tummy pains and has the runs and constipation on a regular basic. His appetite isn't great and he is very slim for his age 2.5 stone exactly but has been that weight for the last yr. he does pass urine in the toilet but WONT do a poo in toilet. Has to be in his nappy, I've tried toilet training books, bubble, I've even tried to keep him sitting a 30mis with no success. I've been to the doctors but they just keep upping hid meds. I'm getting very worried as I don't want him being on meds for toileting as he starts school next term. Please help. A very worried and stressed mummy.
Thanksl,
Lea McMillan xxx
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. First off has he had any tests or studies for his bowel problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No not yet
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
So what have the doctors said his problem is Lea?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They haven't gave me diagnosis as yet, just prescribed meds and I have been a few times with no success
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Have they considered a lactose intolerance problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've thought about that doctor is that something I can ask doctor for? Or can I just try that myself?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
We can continue after this Lea but you yourself can just give him nonlactose milk and dairy products to start with and see if that clears up his problem. That said, I personally would have him see a pediatric gastroenterologist to look for other causes like irritable bowel syndrome, Chron's disease, or a pancreatic insufficiency problem