Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hello Dr, it's like I'm starting a new job tomorrow, been off

Hello Dr, it's like I'm starting a new job tomorrow, been off a couple of weeks now because of the fear of my echo results.. Can I just recap a few things with you before I go to sleep?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. What's the new job?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lol it's not new.. It feels like it coz I'm nervous and scared
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK So what do we need to talk about?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok basically going to go over same stuff then it's fresh in my mind :
1 - my biggest fear in the whole heart thickness stuff is SCD, you have told that this is not going to happen and other online docs have said similar
2 - My concern about the diastolic dysfunction, again similar advice all round, you don't think I have it, my cardiologist says it's consistent with the mild thickness of the septum.. Another online doc on another site has explained as below:
Thank you for your query at DoctorSpring.com
The echo report that you have suggested that you have mild lv diastolic dysfunction. This means that your heart muscle does not relax as fast as it should after contraction. This is a very common denominator found in a sizeable proportion of the population and not an issue of any worry. This can be found normally in cases of tissue doppler.
Only when there are further stages of diastolic dysfunction like stage 2 or 3 imply that there is ongoing diastolic heart failure.
However mild lv diastolic dysfunction does not imply that the patient is having heart failure. Blood pressure control, diabetes control, proper diet and exercise are helpful for treatment of diastolic dysfunction.
Prophylactically you can take dielectrics for the diastolic dysfunction.
And another one said:
No as i said earlier you are definitely not at an increased risk of sudden death.
You need to get a repeat ECHO, after 6 months to check for the septal size. If there is more hypertrophy, then you will need to alter your physical activity, because increased pressure on heart can lead to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
And the diastolic dysfunction is not at all true. As i told you tissue doppler picks up minutest of abnormalities, and in absence of any symptoms or clinical signs there is nothing to worry about. Your cardiologist would have checked for murmurs and other clinical signs and hence he was not worried.
May be you can just alter your intensity of physical activity, making sure you don't put a lot of strain on your heart.
As of now, please do not worry
3 - my bp... 135/85?? Normal .. Sometimes 140/90
Anyway I'm trying to accept the fact that everything you have told me and all others have said is true.., do you agree with the advice given by the others above?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I agree with the recheck echo just to monitor things. Diuretics are a thought but that would be up to your cardiologist and I personally don't see a reason for them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do u agree with the bit where he says that the tissue doppler picks up the minutest of abnormalities?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well what he was saying that it picked up a minimal thickening of your septum
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Was he not referring to the comments made on my echo report by the technician.. The following is part of the comments on the echo report:
"Unable to comment on diastolic function due to frequent doppler profile changes, but tissue Doppler profile suggests diastlolic dysfuntion"
Then the online cardiologist says:
In absence of any cardiac symptoms, the possible diastolic dysfunction can be ignored. Tissue Doppler imaging, a relatively newer technique can pick up the minutest of blood flow abnormalities, in the heart, at times making the reports misleading. So we don't completely rely on the tissue doppler analysis, and go by the physical examination by a cardiologist. If there are no murmurs heard,on auscultation, or in absence of any symptoms, the diastolic dysfunction can be ignored.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I still think the technician should only have given the number results--it wasn't his job to interpret things and like I told you before the numbers don't show diastolic dysfunction
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
:-)
Thanks doc.. Anyway bot***** *****ne is I'm not in any immediate threat or danger to my life with these echo results? That's one thing that reassures me
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You have zero--repeat, zero--chance of any threat or danger from those results my friend. Do well at you job tomorrow and keep in touch
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for all your help with this so far.. Goodnight