Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

i have developed two medium size white patches on my penis

Customer Question

i have developed two medium size white patches on my penis gland recently, its quite irritable & itches like hell. I checked on the net & it sounded like the fungal disease lichen planus. But i'm not sure, i rather would not go to a GP.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Could you attach a picture using the icon on the tool bar that looks like a paper clip?
I had asked for a picture and have not heard back.

First, it true that white patches on the skin of the penis could be lichen planus, but lichen planus is not a fungal infection. Lichen planus is an inflammatory condition that can affect many locations on the body, including the genitals. Many of these cases will improve spontaneously and do not require treatment. In cases that require treatment, the usual medicines are topical steroids.

It is possible to get a fungal infection of the skin of the penis, which would usually be treated with a topical anti-fungal.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.