Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

I have policistic overies and I have irregular periods normally

Customer Question

I have policistic overies and I have irregular periods normally every 3-4 months so my GP gave me 5mg norethisterone to take for a week so I have a period half way through my normal cycle but I sleeps with a friend last week and I didn't think anything of it till I read up that it tells you to use contraception when taking these I started last Friday that be the 18th and finished this Friday it's not long after I have finished these that I normally start a period I don't get any signs when I'm gonna start either as I've never had any stomach cramps or anything could I still fall pregnante with my medical history in taking these tablets as i don't want anymore children as I have 3 and a single mum and this friend don't want kids
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
So you took the norethisterone October 18-25?
And you would usually get your period about 2 days after stopping the norethisterone?
What day did you sleep with your friend? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He came at 1.45 Saturday morning and didn't leave till Tuesday morning we slept together that night and many times but Monday night I slept in the sofa I feel so stupid in all of this and ashamed but the be twice on first day then about 5 more after that
Pregnancy is fairly unlikely because of the polycystic ovary syndrome. Having periods every 3-4 months means that you only ovulate 3-4 times a year at the most.
It's true that the norethisterone does not work as birth control; it just brings on a period. However, as long as your period comes, that's good evidence that you're not pregnant.
Since you took the last pill on Friday, I would expect you to get a period Sunday or Monday (2-3 days later). As long as the period comes, that means that you're not pregnant.
Just in case your period doesn't come, then I would do a pregnancy test. I would wait about 14 days from the first day you had sex so that it will be more reliable if it's negative.
Most likely your period will come today or tomorrow. If not, then pregnancy is possible.
In the future, using condoms or something for birth control would be wise. You're not very fertile because you only ovulate 3-4 times a year, but if you happen to have sex near one of those days, then you could end up pregnant. Best wishes.
Thank you for your payment and rating.