Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

hello,I had glandular fever about 15 yrs ago and was very

hello, I had glandular fever about 15 yrs ago and was very very poorly. My glands have sollen up several types since -particularly when I am run down or have a cold. I have a flu jab every year and after the flu jab, in the same arm, my armpit lymph node swells up and becomes very painful. This lasts for about a week. is this normal? should I see a doctor?

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi

i am ok to continue waiting for a response

thanks

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.
Were any investigations done to see for the cause? Do you have any diagnosed medical condition?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was diagnosed originally with glandular fever. I remember feeling like something had popped and being violently sick. I had recurrent episodes of what I thought was glandular fever. (My lymph nodes would swell up etc) I remember this particularly after a night of being out and drinking alcohol. My glands swell up always when I have a cold, am over tired or am run down. My armpit lymph node always swells up in the arm I had the flu jab in, for about 5-7 days after having the jab. I sometimes get a dead leg -also when I'm tired or run down.

I remember having lots of blood tests over the years. I have had episodes of psychosis over the past 14 yrs and am on a minimum dosage of olanzapine for this. My immune system seems okay -I don't catch many colds and am in okay health.

Thank you for your help and please ask if you need further info

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for additional information.
Lymph nodes {glands} form the basic unit of your immune system. They act as barrier to the micro-organisms which attack your body and cause ill health. These enlarge in size when there is any abnormality {infection/ inflammation} at the region drained by them. It is normal for them to enlarge when there is a bout of infection.
In your case I do not see fear of cancer {few cancers like lymphoma also cause enlargement of the nodes}. If it would have been cancer than there would have been associated symptoms like - significant loss of weight and appetite. The enlarged nodes in case of cancer are permanent {they do not appear and go away}.
I am happy that blood tests came negative.
Please do not worry, you are fine.
Best
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience: Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.