DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My 4 month old son has reflux with difficulties in sleeping

Customer Question

My 4 month old son has reflux with difficulties in sleeping (sleeping lightly and waking up frequently,crying, even when fed), feeding difficulties like being hungry but only getting 40-50 ml and then crying or pulling off the teat every few seconds, then another 40 ml after 10 min. to half an hour and so on. He is constantly arching his back and is very irtitable. He is also refusing the breastand have to give him formula and expressed breastmilk (very little nowadays). He is on ppi drugs which seem to help him have better feeds but not completely solved the problem and also some days he is much worse than others. He is teathing at the same time which according to the doctors make reflux worse. I am worried about the side effects of ppi drugs on such a young baby and also disappointed as although he is on this medication he is not getting much better and seems like he is fighting feeds and sleep and he is not a very happy baby. I have read that nat phos 6x and nux vomica 30c could help. Is this so and how can i give them to him? I ve already bought granules and pilules. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

sounds like he is a handful.

Dr. David :

if the proton pump inhibitors are not helping, then they should be stopped

Dr. David :

sleeping can be very difficult for that age. they can be used to rocking and movement to help them sleep

Dr. David :

we used a rocker for our baby to sleep and he slept in the rocker the whole night.

Dr. David :

http://www.ebabyswings.com/category/fisher-price/

Dr. David :

there are many swings here which can help with sleep

Dr. David :

is he moving his bowels regularly?

Dr. David :

the expressed breast milk is really best for him. are you eating things in your diet which could be upsetting the baby like garlic or onions or alcohol or spicy foods?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

Hello I am a classical homeopath and an MD

I can help you with remedy possibilities.

Please tell me a lot more about the symptoms and behavior

What makes it worse, better, etc

There is no such thing as a remedy "for" a condition. We have to look at the whole case.

You will need a homeopath for the baby and you have good ones in the UK, but I can help you get started........

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Main symptoms: irritability, crying not specific times a day, mostly in theevening and around especially during feeds.

Arching his back a lot during feeds and when tired. Interrupted sleep with crying not always for a feed. Spitting out in every feed even 2 hours after. Good daily bowel movement. As breastmilk he gets is very little compared to formula i cannot identify foods that might make him worse but i am not drinking alcohol or coffee, spicy or onion-garlic foods. Only vice in my diet is sugar and chocolate.sleep is no good. No matter what time he goes to bed (7 or 8) he will want to wake up for play at 4, 5 in the morning as he is moving he legs and hands like crazy and won't settle until i pick him up and let him play.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

OK

As I said [see my offer] homeopathy takes extensive analysis...please realize this is not the first expert.

I do not see how they can say this is reflux...that is a while guess. It fits a colic picture just as well....

What do you mean by irritability, does it seem like anger? If you carry him around does it help?

I can tell you right now this is not likely nat phos, and probably not nux

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Arching his back especially when feeding is typical of reflux. Refusing feeds and crying when given the bottle is also a symptom. Reflux babies also do not sleep well. Spitting out in every feed also indicates reflux and the fact he is doing it even 2 hours after the feed. You can say his behaviour looks like anger as he is kicking and scratching me a lot when i hold him and he seem to be in pain. But definitely he is teathing at the same time and he gets upset and angry when he does not manage to put some toys in his mouth or he does not get relief when he chews them.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Remember that homeopathic remedies do not treat an illness, but the whole picture.
This is a chamomilla picture.
Your wife can take a 30C once and he will get it through the breast milk,
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. As i am not breastfeeding any more and the breastmilk i express is very little, can i give it directly to him. I bought a teathing remedy containing chamomilla and calc phos (from the organic pharmacy). It is in granules and says 5 granules 5 times a day. Can i put it directly in his mouth?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
A single remedy, 30C.
You so not want to give calc phos.
You can put a couple of granules in a shot glass of water and give a few drops under the tongue.
See how much it helps, then use only if needed.
And, you need to be working with a classical homeopath at this point.
Homeopathy cures the problem, it does not simply treat the problem.
So, if the remedy needs to be changed at some point, the homeopath will know.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
thanks
find me if you need a list of homeopaths or more analysis
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My understanding is that i paid the extra 43 in order to look at our case in more detail as you said you can offer more analysis. As i am new to this site i am not sure if i am waiting for an answer or if i should make more questions. If the latter then could you please consider the following?

Why not nux vomica as it is for digestive upset, irritability, hyperactivity, moody on awakening, burning pains which fit the profile. Chamomila laso does. Why not calc phos as they give it for teathing. Will it harm him if he takes the combination remedy i bought until i buy the new one? How many times a day shall i give the remedy?

I fail to mention he has painfull wind which sometimes wake him up crying. However arching is more of a reflux behavior than colic where they curve inwards instead of arching. Also wind is another trouble of reflux babies who also do not burp eadily like my son.

what about the ppi drugs he is now on. Do they block the remedies action in any way. Shall we stop them?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
That accept did not come through until now.
You do not choose a remedy based on it is given "for" something.
There are 100 remedies that have teething as a symptom.
You have to look at the repitorization, and then look at the most characteristic symptoms.
In fact, becoming irritable while being fed, for a baby is pretty unusual.
This fits chamomile the best.
Chamomile also is more indicated in being a baby.
It is indicated for teething problems, particularly with anger, which calc phos is not.
So, in terms of fitting the case most strongly, cham.
There are 3 to 4 orders of degree of importance to each symptom.
So we also look at what has the most 2, 3, or 4 strong points, again chamomile is going to fit more in terms of that analysis as well.
It is very important to get a homeopath at this point.
For example: lets say cham works well but after 2 months there is one symptom left and one new symptom, and a rash. That is most likely going to be a different remedy which completes the case, if that happens, although cham might be enough.
It is also important to realize that every treatment with homeopathy gives a stronger, more resilient individual, so the next problem that comes up in the childs life should be appropriately treated, in order to follow the case.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I would also appreciate it if you answer my two other questions. How many times a day shall i give the remedy and if the ppi drugs we are now taking might block the action of homeopathy.

Do you have an office in london in case we decide to follow up for more detailed treatment?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
You will need a homeopathy and I am sure there are good ones in London
There is a list to find a homeopath here
http://www.britishhomeopathic.org/
The remedy should be given once, and if there is a response, you do not repeat it unless it is needed, if symptoms recur.
It can be repeated 3 times a day in general.
The medications can obscure the symptom picture, rather than block the action of the remedy...another reason for getting a good homeopath that has done a lot of clinical work.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
let me know how it goes.
The top remedies on this analysis, taking the four most important symptoms and then looking at some minor symptoms, small remedy analysis are:
CHAM : all four symptoms, 9 points , so, 4/9
ars: 3/5
Iod 3/5
zinc 3/5
lach 3/4
phos 3/4
ant-t 3/3
merc 3/3
cic 2/5
nux-v 2/5
Also considered chin 2/4
In addition, cham is in the 4th order for irritablity in children/infants, and no other remedy has this on this list to that degree.
Vomiting after milk, or during feeding, is also strong in cham, as is irritability in the patterns you describe.
Good luck.
Find me anytime by request, I am a double board certified doctor in integrative medicine, internal medicine, classical homeopath, functional medicine trained, with over 20 years of experience with all ages.
I am here daily, in medical.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I used the combination remedy i had yesterday (cham and calc phos) before receiving your answer and today I bought the cham 30 and i gave him some this evening. Meanwhile today he has much bigger feedings which he never had before but he is very moody, do not seem happy and instead of being soothed when held he cries and stops when i put him down to his cot. He seems like angry. Very strange behavior I think.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
We never use combination remedies in homeopathy...you can not tell what is doing what
I would see what the 30C does and not use more than 3 to 5 doses at least 8 hours apart before you see a homeopathy in person.
If
a. improvement wait
b. aggravation of symptoms, wait.
If improvement then relapse, repeat.