Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I was diagnosed with MS whan I was 17 yrs old-I am now 47 and

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with MS whan I was 17 yrs old-I am now 47 and the mother of two children aged 18 and 17yrs. I have also been active in sport and have showjumped competitively for most of my life. Yesterday,I woke up with a strange sensation down my left leg-a sort of numbness-should I be concerned?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
Yes,you should be concerned.
The strange sensation/numbness you had in left leg can have all kinds of different causes, as it is a symptom of many different diseases.
It usually arises from damage or disease of nerves.Its most common causes are:nerve compression syndromes, pressure on the spinal nerves such as that due to a herniated disk,high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke,transient ischemic attack.
Also this can be due to :Underactive thyroid,abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body,lack of vitamin B12,certain medications.
This may also be related to your 17 year old diagnsoed-multiple sclerosis(MS).
The underlying cause of numbness/tingling should be identified and then treated by your doctor.
You may need Electromyography(EMG) & nerve conduction studies to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.
Although there is nothing serious/dangerous here but still you it is of concern and should consult your doctor & it should not be ignored.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert