Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I suffer from Rosecea, but my skin was fine up to Sunday. I

Customer Question

I suffer from Rosecea, but my skin was fine up to Sunday. I woke up Monday morning and my right eyelid was swollen,my left eye partly swollen,my eyes red but the rest of my face normal colour. I put on my protopic crem on eyelids and face yesterday and last night,also opticrom allergy drops in my eyes. Today my eyes are much better,but my face is red and swollen,.What could have caused this and how do I get rid of it quickly.I can,t stay in all day.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

waking up with swollen eye lids and left eye partially swollen can be a sign of a viral infection of the eye like conjunctivitis

Dr. David :

using allergy eye drops is fine, but you should not be using tacrolimus on your eye lids for conjunctivitis

Dr. David :

it sounds like your face is very sensitive and can get red and swollen very easily.

Dr. David :

have you used protopic on your face for your rosacea?

JACUSTOMER-zv7jozxr- :

yes I have,but I can't wait days for it to cool down,so I'm not sure it's working.The area under my eyes is swollen looking although not as red as it was.I would like to know what is causing this,so I can avoid this happening again.

Dr. David :

many things can cause rosasea

Dr. David :

anxiety, viral infection, food allergies can cause rosacea, temperature extremes, sunlight, spicy foods, hot foods.

Dr. David :

the more you worry about the rosacea, the longer it will take to get better since anxiety and nervousness and stress can cause it as well.

Dr. David :

your rosacea will get better

Dr. David :

you have to remain calm and forget about it and it will calm down.

Dr. David :

don't let your anxiety get out of control

JACUSTOMER-zv7jozxr- :

I'm definately anxious, stressed and nervous with this at present,if it was anwhere else but my face,it would be ok. Would food with lots of sugar in it cause it,as I had pavlova sat night,Its the only thing I can think of.My face was fine up till then.If I could find the cause I could prevent it happening again.

Dr. David :

yes, foods with high sugar content can cause rosacea in some patients.

Dr. David :

you might need to avoid these foods in the future or eat them on weekends when you are not stressed about having rosacea and going out or going to work.

Dr. David :

try your best to relax.

Dr. David :

and take deep breaths and don't keep looking at the mirror to check on your rosacea.

Dr. David :

this only worsens your anxiety.

Dr. David :

if your anxiety continues to be bad, you might need to see a doctor about it and get treatment to help decrease your anxiety with medication.

JACUSTOMER-zv7jozxr- :

Can you recommend any herbs etc to help me relax,

Dr. David :

some people use valerian root to help them relax and even sleep.

JACUSTOMER-zv7jozxr- :

Thanks I'll try it.

Dr. David :

thanks.