DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi There I have been feeling unwell for 6-8 weeks. Mild

Customer Question

Hi There
I have been feeling unwell for 6-8 weeks. Mild flu like muscle aches from time to time but mainly a feeling of feeling unwell. Sometimes I feel hot and cold for no reason and this is really getting me down.
I had a full blood count, thyroid epv all good 5 weeks ago but my ck levels were 460. I have just had the ck levels checked again and it is 500 4 weeks on. My question is should I be panicking about this.
My other tests I had done second time were
Creative protein
erythrocyte sedimentation rate
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
This can be a mild myositis...muscle inflammation.
This can happen from autoimmune disease.
I suggest that you see an internist, or a sub-specialist, rheumatologist.
By the way, I think you mean your EBV was OK.
In any case...I would run a full ANA panel. What was your sed rate?
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is this really bad?

My doctor has told me it is only mildly elevated so he wants to test again for a third time in 4 weeks. He told me to drink plenty of fluids.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
It is not an emergency, and sometimes you might not find a cause..no it is not really bad, but I recommend the specialist.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so I should do a full ANA panel test. What happens if this is all good?

Did you see my original results?

Could autoimmune problems be causing my illness or could I just be anxious and this is making it worse?

Also when you google ck it comes up with muscular dystrothy, als and things like that

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
This level can be from working out, vigorous body work of any sort, etc...it is not specific to d disease.
Anxiety can make your symptoms worse.
You don't have muscular dystrophy...no symptoms of that.
CK is non specific, it fits lots of situations...isolated levels to this degree most often turn out not to be anything.
So, do what your doctor says.
Your labs otherwise look OK.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was on holiday and inactive prior to the test also had quite a bit of alcohol the three weeks leading up to the test! Can this effect the reading?

My doctor wasn't concerned and didn't think the ck levels were what my problems were. He has put it down to anxiety but as you can imagine having a high ck level does not help anxiety

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I would agree with your doctor then.
I don't think the alcohol would cause any persistent elevation, but would not drink.