Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hello dr, just thought Id give u an update.. I'm back at work..

Customer Question

Hello dr, just thought Id give u an update.. I'm back at work.. Only initially panicking when I first wake up but once I'm at work and get myself busy then I don't worry too much about my heart thickness :-)
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
So the day went well Shazad?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well I was on day 2 today.. I got up at 6am.. Panicking about anything and everything.. Managed to get myself to work.. Got busy with work and forgot about panicking.. The only problem is I keep on looking out for symptoms relating to heart thickness.. I shouldn't have to should I?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No you shouldn't have to and the problem is that you can think yourself into thinking something's wrong when it isn't. Slowly but surely as the days go on you should be able to let the fear go. The second you start to think about your heart you need to switch channels--hum a tune, get moving--whatever distracts you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You are one of the best dr's on here do you know that? Wealth of knowledge and advice, what area do you actually specialise in? Anyway this weekend I'm going to be moving some heavy wardrobes which will involve some heavy lifting.. Do you think this will be dangerous for me considering the thickness of my heart.. Could I causecmyself a dangerous arrhythmia?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the kind words Shazad. I do Family Practice. Have you been back to the gym?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nope not been back yet
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And didn't your cardiologist say that would be OK? And just how much weight are we talking about for this weekend?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just taking some wardrobes apart... So once taken apart the wood panels are not too heavy.. Well my cardiologist said that I'm ok to engage in weights but in moderation.. But I've just been too scared and thought I'd weight for the mri and go from there.. Who knows, the mri scan might reveal my heart thickness to be within limits.. Am I correct in thinking that an echo is not too reliable and there's a margin for error with the readings?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
The echo isn't as definitive as the MRI but the difference in your case really shouldn't matter--the MRI might detect a difference of a millimeter but since you really only have a minimal thickening that doesn't really change anything. Go ahead with the wardrobes this weekend--you'll be fine--and then, once you get through that without any problems, get back to the gym. The best way to let go of your fears is to fight them actively
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I suppose you are right.. You know when someone panics .. The hr shoots up.. Can my go so high that it could cause a dangerous arythmias? (Again I'm looking to symptoms).. This is just bizarre thinking don't u think? I mean with my mild thickening I'm not at risk of arythmias like an AF and VF am I?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, it won't go that high. At most anxiety will increase the heart rate about the same as taking a brisk walk. You're not at risk for AF or VF. Not bizarre and relatively common thinking among folks that have a health anxiety problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok just to finish off... I'm not at any risk at all with the thickness I have? In the last couple of days I've been thinking what if in the last week or so the thickness has increased? Not possible that quick? Even if it was hcm?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No risk whatsoever Shazad. And no way it's gotten any thicker.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lol ok doc.. Thanks for everything.. Your advice is helping me so much and I'm very grateful.. It's nice to know that there are people like yourself out there :-)
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Thank you my friend
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The cardiologist has refered me for that mri on the NHS which mean I can get it for free but the only downside is that I'll be waiting approx 4-6 weeks , on the other hand I can go private and pay for it which will cost around £600.. Do you think I'm ok to wait 6 weeks? You don't think there will be an increase in thickness in 6 weeks do you?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Absolutely you can wait and I'm sure the MRI results will not show anything different from what we know now. Total waste of the 600 pounds if you do that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks.. And on that note its a goodnight from me.. Chat again soon.. Take care
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You too and take that 600 pounds and use it for something really worthwhile
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah.. Maybe buy myself the new iPhone 6
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not if it's got the health app that constantly monitors and reports your heart rate and blood pressure--that's the last thing you need right now
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lol haha.. Nice one.. Anyway going to finish this now with a rating ..cya for now
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Til next time my friend.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
U mentioned bp, mines always around 140/90.. Not dangerous level is it?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not dangerous but I'd rather see it in the 130's over the low to mid 80's. I wouldn't treat it with blood pressure medication but hold off on the extra salt in your diet
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No problem