Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hi im a 60 year old male i had a hernia op 2 and 1/2 years

Hi im a 60 year old male i had a hernia op 2 and 1/2 years ago on the right side, they but a mash in and 34 years i had a appendix op. Since my last op i have a swollen testicle on the same side, it is very big and painful when im working or lying in bed on my side. Can there something be done it is really sore. I consulted my GP and he tell's me everything is fine and nothing can be done.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

it sounds like your prior surgery has affected how the lymphatic fluid drains out of your scrotum.

Dr. David :

you need to have a scrotal ultrasound of that side to make sure it is just lymphedema or swelling of excessive lymph fluid.

Dr. David :

and there are special scrotal support bands that you can wear which can help decrease scrotal edema.

Customer:

Where can i get the support bands?

Dr. David :

you might have to mail order them

Dr. David :

or look into medical supply stores.

Dr. David :

http://showcase.designveronique.com/designveronique/shop/postsurgical/men-1/scrotum-support-brief.html

Dr. David :

http://www.qnsscrotalsupport.com/

Dr. David :

are a few options.

Dr. David :

massage therapy can help as well

Dr. David :

you might need to learn how to do some mild scrotal massage yourself to help push fluid out of the scrotum

Dr. David :

does this help?

Dr. David :

do you have other questions?

Customer:

My GP told me it is fluid, but never checked is via ultrasound and he told me nothing can be done i have to live with it, he said they can't operate again on this wound

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

lymphedema is a type of lymph fluid which is push around our bodies as part of our immune system.

Dr. David :

sometimes after surgery the flow of lymph fluid can be disrupted and you can have excessive fluid back up called lymphedema.

Dr. David :

ask your doctor about lymphedema therapy and massage therapy and ask for referal to a medical supply store to see if they can order you a scrotal support garment like I showed you

Dr. David :

and if there are physical therapist or massage therapist which can teach you about massage therapy so you can do the scrotal massage yourself to help push fluid out of the scrotum.

Dr. David :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efuAqVgFY_U

Dr. David :

is a good video as well.

Dr. David :

does this information help?

Dr. David :

do you have any other questions?

Dr. David :

when done, please leave positive feedback below the chat box

Dr. David :

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

Dr. David :

hello

Dr. David :

?

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Customer:

Thank you i will check this out

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

don't forget to leave positive feedback below

Dr. David :

we only get credit after positive feedback

Dr. David :

do you see the ratings area below?