Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I've had a fuzzy head / sometimes with headaches and chest

I've had a fuzzy head / sometimes with headaches and chest pain for 5 months. I've been in hospital with high BP but heart seemed ok. Also had angiogram which seemed normal. Am awaiting MRI for enlarged adrenals but endocrinologist is not convinced they are cause of my symptoms. Can you help?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Can you tell me what you mean by a fuzzy head? Have you had an MRI of your brain? Why does the endocrinologist suspect an adrenal problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I haven't had MRI on head but want to ask my GP if I can. My head feels like I have a permanent hangover although I don't drink. This can be mild to feeling like my brain is shrinking.
We know I have enlarged adrenals which was spotted on a ct scan. I was in hospital in France recently with fluctuating BP. They checked my heart and concluded it may be adrenals. However BP is now ok and have done blood tests and 48 hour urine tests. They haven't called me so I assume the tests were ok. In the meantime I feel very unwell.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
So I'm assuming the endocrinologist was checking cortisol levels and that he also checked your thyroid function? Did he also check metanephrines for something called a pheochromocytoma?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He did not think it was a Pheo. I guess MRI will tell? I am worried that if the tests prove inconclusive I will be back at square one and what next?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK. If not a pheo did he have any thoughts at all as to what's going on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No but didn't think adrenals would cause my symptoms. What else could cause this?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well we can continue after this if you'd like Jenny. Of course we have to await the results of the tests you've had but I don't think an MRI is going to find an adrenal adenoma that wasn't seen on the ct. Obviously this could be a thyroid problem but I would assume the endocrinologist had checked that too. This could be as simple as a chronic sinusitis problem so I'd get a ct of your sinuses. I mentioned the brain MRI just to look for other causes of your headaches. I'd also check for vitamin D deficiency and for heavy metal (lead and mercury) toxicity.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well thank you. Not sure sinusitis would cause chest pain. But I am seeing a kinesiologist later today so she may be able to see about vit d deficiency and heavy metals. My feeling is I can't feel this unwell for so long without there being a reason.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No, that wouldn't explain the chest pain but that could be a problem with gastric reflux which I would also check you for. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you Jenny
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Dr Chip.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure Jenny