Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

I am male, 66 years of age, divorced & living alone. I was

Customer Question

I am male, 66 years of age, divorced & living alone. I was diagnosed as just in the Type 2 diabetes zone a year ago and have been taking Metformin with no obvious significant side effects. Recent diabetes check up actually showed improvement on a year ago.
About seven weeks ago I came down with flu like symptoms and for three days spent a large amount of time in bed. I have failed to shake off symptoms entirely, feel rather run down have a cough and spend a lot of time trying to clear phlegm. Doctor has listened to my chest which he found clear but has sent off a sputum sample for analysis.
In spite of being morbidly obese I work about 70 hours a week running two convenience stores (mainly deskwork) i.e. I am active in a limited sense.
This background may be completely irrelevant as the complaint on which I wish to consult is seemingly unrelated. About three hours ago I noticed soreness/itchiness around my scrotum. It has now got worse- the scrotum is significantly swollen but
very itchy rather than severely painful. I passed urine wiithout any obvious problem.
I am just about to hop in a bath and take a close look. I am not sure whether it is something straightforward which will resolve itself or whether I should drive to casualty
(about 2 miles away in Taunton) Grateful for advice.
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr.Customer:

Hi, and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

Dr.Customer:

It seems that you are offline.

Dr.Customer:

The history you gave was excellent and important!

Dr.Customer:

As far as the current problem with the scrotal swelling and itching:

Dr.Customer:

chances are that it is nothing more than an insect bite, or a reaction to new detergent used in your laundry etc.

Dr.Customer:

However, there are some times that scrotal swelling is an emergency.

Dr.Customer:

If you were having a lot of pain (which you didn't mention) we would worry about testicular torsion.

Dr.Customer:

Other things to consider are hydrocele (fluid in the scrotal sack), varicocele (an enlarged vein in the scrotal sack), trauma (you didn't mention that there was any trauma), tumor, idiopathic scroatl edema (which basically means we don't know why it is swelling) among others.

Dr.Customer:

As some of these problems can be emergencies it is important that you go to the emergency room to make sure you are okay.

Dr.Customer:

Does this help?

Dr.Customer:

Do you have further questions?

Dr.Customer:

The computer is showing me that you are not online, so I will change this question to a q&a so that you will not be charged more.

Dr.Customer:

Please make sure that you are satisfied with my service, you can ask anything you need to, so that you can rate my service as "excellent"

Dr.Customer:

As the computer has just changed your status to "typing" I will not change the chat to a Q&A unless you ask me to or time runs out.

JACUSTOMER-wjzha4ez- :

No trauma, no pain, simply that the degree of enlargement means I am having to walk like a cowboy and it feels sore on the surface rather than painful from within.

Dr.Customer:

If you would like to read more about scrotal sweeling, the National Library of Medicine has a link that you might want to click to. www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003161.htm

Thank you for your positive rating, but I don't think we finished this yet.

If you have swelling of your legs as well then I'd be worried about congestive heart failure.

A hernia is another possibility but most likely would not cause itching.

Please let me know if you have more questions. Continuing in this question/answer is not an extra charge - and you've already paid for this question.

G-d Bless