Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Am having to ask my question twice; mix up in the system; so

Customer Question

Am having to ask my question twice; mix up in the system; so my neck is screaming at me for that.
This is a totally new subject ok?
A few months ago, I had a lot of blood tests, because I had symptoms of extreme fatigue and drowsiness, kept falling asleep right through the day; and had days of heavy sweating so that it ran like a river down my back and in my eyes. It is NOT the menopause!
Nothing wrong was found, except in that test that indicates inflammation somewhere. That had been the case with me twice before, but each time the repeat test was ok.
I am now in a very bad way, and considering asking to go to a private clinic. Will you advise me please about what it is best to say in order to secure that? Doctors of all kinds sit up when you tell them certain symptoms. It was the heavy sweating that got him going last time!
A trivial thing I have never told a doctor: several times a day I itch in a way that gets on my nerves. For several years I assumed it meant that another of those wart type things was on verge of breaking out. Now, I know it is not always that.
Another trivial thing: my upper gum where it joins the teeth is sore. The dentist had no idea; suggested thrush rather doubtfully, but it was not.
My abnormal thirst has never been resolved, and last March was still not diabetes mellitus. I learned to control it and it got better. Now it is worse than ever. At the risk of your thinking that I am crazy: every evening from about 7 to 9.30 p.m. I also feel hot and feverish, as if starting a cold. No I am not, and a thermometer shows that my temperature is fine. By bedtime, I feel normal again.
My plan, if I get the referral, is to ask whoever I then see, for a private complete body MRI. I have my reasons!
I do not know who will answer this and from which country. Suffice it to say that, where I live, the NHS is also notoriously on its deathbed. It has never served me well, and I do not fancy accompanying it to its grave.
Ann
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr David

Dr. David :

you should get your thyroid hormone levels checked.

Dr. David :

abnormal thyroid hormone levels can cause sweats.

Dr. David :

do you have fevers when you are sweating?

Dr. David :

an infection can cause fevers and sweats as well.

Dr. David :

have you had weight loss?

Dr. David :

sweats and weight loss can be worrisome.

Dr. David :

you could have gingivitis inflammation of your gums which is common

JACUSTOMER-2shdc2oc- :

No noticeable weight loss. They have tested my thyroid.

Dr. David :

excessive thirst can be caused by certain medications or diabetes or thyroid problems.

Dr. David :

what is your TSH level?

Dr. David :

was it normal?

Dr. David :

are you having fevers with these sweats?

Dr. David :

you could have a viral infection like mononucleosis causing extreme fatigue and sweats.

Dr. David :

if you tell them you have sweats and weight loss, they are more likely to order scans for you.

Dr. David :

fevers they can check for.

JACUSTOMER-2shdc2oc- :

For what it is worth, an alternative person' as former doctor, had me tested in a manner orthodox doctors do not recognise in 2007; and my thyroid. Said thyroid was in a bad way, but did not notice scan result said adrenals even poorer! I was put on thyroid extract and became much more ill. It was I myself who noticed the warning re adrenals months later. I don't trust any of THEM any more.

JACUSTOMER-2shdc2oc- :

I have always believed myself that it is the adrenals. until a few weeks ago I had energy only in the evenings, which I understand is typical of adrenals. Now I do not even have that respite.

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

adrenal dysfunction at your age is not very common.

Dr. David :

you could ask to see an endocrinology doctor who is a hormone specialist doctor to get adrenal blood testing

Dr. David :

but most likely it will be normal.

Dr. David :

adrenal problems would cause weight gain or weight loss usually, not just fatigue.

Dr. David :

you can ask for testing to check for viral infections like mononucleosis

Dr. David :

also your TSH for your thyroid function should be between 0.3 and 3.0

JACUSTOMER-2shdc2oc- :

I said in my 1st email that all they did last time was blood tests. As I understand it, British doctors do not recognise adrenal fatigue unless it is Addison's.

JACUSTOMER-2shdc2oc- :

My adrenal dysfunction started years ago.

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

well you can ask your doctors to refer you to see a endocrinologist

JACUSTOMER-2shdc2oc- :

1) They do not agree to test for the things you suggested, like mononucleosis. When they do, they do not inform the patient.

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

that can be difficult

Dr. David :

you can pay privately for these tests and pay privately to see a endocrinologist.

JACUSTOMER-2shdc2oc- :

I have an ancient hiatus hernia. That is why I want the MRI. It is NOT nice now. I can see from their behaviour that they do not like it either. They can do no serious tests because of my bad hypertension e .g endoscopy. But, provided the hiatus hernia allows me to lie down in the thing, MRIs don't bother me.

Dr. David :

there are also possible treatments for your sweats like effexor or paxil which could help.

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

MRI scans are very expensive in the uk.

Dr. David :

and that is why they are not used very often.

JACUSTOMER-2shdc2oc- :

That is exactly why I said at the start I was asking for your advice!

Dr. David :

also whole body MRI images are not very clear because it is not easy to get a large magnetic field over such a large area

Dr. David :

MRI scans of small areas like the brain and knee are much more clear.

Dr. David :

I am not sure if it is very realistic to be wanting a whole body MRI scan

Dr. David :

which might not help very much and the image is not very clear.

Dr. David :

if you have a hiatal hernia, a CT scan of the abdomen would be better than an MRI scan.

JACUSTOMER-2shdc2oc- :

There are no serious endocrinologists around here.

Dr. David :

I see.

JACUSTOMER-2shdc2oc- :

I rather think they have not done CT of that area.

Dr. David :

a CT scan would be better of your abdomen and less expensive than an MRI scan and more clear images.

JACUSTOMER-2shdc2oc- :

I know very well that MRIs are unreliable - as are all medical tests. Known far to many people who died soon after being told such tests showed nothing!

Dr. David :

I have to drive home now from work.

Dr. David :

I will be back with you in about 10 minutes.

Dr. David :

sorry for the interruption.

Dr. David :

but I will be back.

JACUSTOMER-2shdc2oc- :

Thank you for trying but I am sorry, we are not getting anywhere. If you ate still in The USA that is no wonder. Things are different over here.

JACUSTOMER-2shdc2oc- :

Goodbye Ann

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com