Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

hi, a relative of mine is going to get a bone marrow scan is

Customer Question

hi, a relative of mine is going to get a bone marrow scan is there an other condition apart from myeloma or bone cancer were this scan could be used to diagnose ie osteopherosis?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Bone scans are negative in myeloma, meaning bone scan report would be normal in cases of multiple myeloma unless of course the person has a fracture in which case it would show a hot spot on a bone scan.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Bone scan is usually done to see metastatic tumors in the bone (cancer spread to bones).

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If a patient presents with bone pains and we are suspecting spread of cancer to the bones, we do a bone scan to rule that out.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If a patient has bone pains and a raised calcium level and we do a bone scan and it is normal then mutliple myeloma is something that is a strong possibility.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Osteoporosis is not diagnosed on a bone scan. This is diagnosed on a DEXA scan.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have more questions.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below when you are done asking.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Kindest regards