Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have eczema for many years but now because of stress and

I have eczema for many years but now because of stress and worrys I'm itching all over especially at night my hand are in a mess to stop itch on my hands I put them under running hot water I feel very nervous anxiety and this does not help I'm also menopausal I think can u help
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

There are a couple of other options that may help in someone with persistent eczema despite antihistamines and steroids.

From the perspective of blocking histamine, it may help to add Zantac to the Piriton. The Piriton is a traditional antihistamine that blocks the H1 receptor. Zantac blocks the H2 receptor, and while the greatest effect of blocking the H2 receptor is on the stomach, it also can augment the antihistamine effect elsewhere on the body.

It also may help to use a topical medicine that suppress the immune reaction in the skin, such as with tacrolimus. With more severe disease, it may be necessary to use a systemic medicine to suppress the immune system, such as methotrexate or cyclosporine.

It is also important to be using interventions to moisturise the skin, such as the use of Aquafor or petrolatum. Some people find in helpful to soak in salt water, from adding either table salt or Epsom salts to warm bath water.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.