Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

I recently did something very stupid, on after having an argument

Customer Question

I recently did something very stupid, on after having an argument with my girlfriend i got drunk on tuesday and cheated on her with someone i dont know. Whilst i used a condom for penetration, we did do unprotected oral on each other. today (thursday) i have what appear to be flu like symptoms (cough, general mucus in throat, sniffles and sore throat) could i have caught an std or am i overreacting?
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr.Customer:

Hi, and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

JACUSTOMER-uwmh2lrt- :

Dr.Customer:

I am just trying to find a link that you might find more information at.

JACUSTOMER-uwmh2lrt- :

should i be worried?

Dr.Customer:

While it is unlikely that there is anything to worry about, you do need to go get tested.

Dr.Customer:

The most important test right now is the baseline HIV test. This is to test if you do or don't have any signs of HIV.

Dr.Customer:

Most likely at this point (as it seems you've been faithful to her until now) the test will be negative.

Dr.Customer:

However, you will need to retest at 6 weeks and 12 weeks to make sure that nothing has developed.

JACUSTOMER-uwmh2lrt- :

how long before i get the results?

Dr.Customer:

The key with HIV is to start treatment very early.

Dr.Customer:

The results usually can take a few hours to a few days. But as I said, my guess is the first one would be negative, and you would have to follow from there.

JACUSTOMER-uwmh2lrt- :

how likely is it to catch hiv from oral?

Dr.Customer:

It is hard to answer that as it depends on many factors. There definitely is a chance of that happening.

Dr.Customer:

It is a lower risk than other sexual activities but is not zero

Dr.Customer:

Does this help?

Dr.Customer:

There is a good site you can check www.cdc.gov/hiv/risk/behavior/oralsex.html

JACUSTOMER-uwmh2lrt- :

ok thank you

Did you have any further questions? Anything else I can help with?

(I should also clarify that your cold symptoms now is not what has me most worried, but rather the entire scenario).

G-d Bless