Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I am worried because I have just started Puppy Training for

I am worried because I have just started Puppy Training for the Guide Dogs for the Blind. He bites me a lot and draws blood through playing, my GP has said I should get a Tetanus Jab and maybe have some antibiotics. I had Chemotherapy two years ago for Breast Cancer, and I am on Letrozole now, would this affect my medication if I have a tetanus jab? Also I have OCD and I am worried because after a bite in the morning I went down to a pet shop and put my arm into a bin of soft toys and one of them had something wet on it, and I am panicking it may have been someone else's blood, and I could get HIV, I don't know because I pulled my arm out and wipe it without looking. Also if my pup nibbles someone else and them bites me can I catch HIV. I asked my GP and he said I would have to go to a sexual clinic to get tested because I did mention I was a Dental Nurse nearly 20 years ago and had needle stick injuries and though nothing of it, I have had my daughter since then. Lloyds Parmacy do HIV testing kits which I can send for, but my GP says they are not accurate, why would they sell them? Can you understand that I do not want to go to a Sexual Clinic as I have had Cancer twice and many other things and this would be just too much for me
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for these questions. Let's take them one by one
1)Yes to a tetanus jab and no to antibiotics unless you have an active infection.
2)No this would not affect your medication
3)There is no way you would get HIV like this. Even a needle jab from an HIV infected person has only 3/1000 risk of infecting. So no risk here
4)no you cannot get HIV through a puppy bite
5)yes, the sendaway HIV kits ARE accurate
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so even if I had put my hand where there was maybe blood and I got a fresh bite on my arm I would be OK and not have HIV? Is a blood test or saliva testing kit the best? Sorry I am a worrier but I have so much medical tests and scans going on at the moment, I just don't want another worry like HIV. I don't think I could cope with that as well as Cancer.
That is correct.
HIV would not enter your body this way.
The blood kit is the best.
I understand you are worried Jane. I hope my answers help you feel better.
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)