Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

hi i have been seen about a cyst under skin on my cheekbone..

Customer Question

hi i have been seen about a cyst under skin on my cheekbone.. i have received a letter saying i am having an mri on neck with contrast this seems strange to me as the cyst is on my face have they made a mistake in the letter or is this normal your response will be greatly received
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr.Customer:

Hi, and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

Dr.Customer:

The MRI is likely being done to check if there is any channel between the cyst on your cheek and anything in your throat (there are sometimes channels that can be there at birth - that have failed to close during in utero development. These channels usually do not cause problems, but sometimes they do. This MRI is likely going to be checking for that.

Dr.Customer:

Additionally, it will check if there is any problems in any of your lymph nodes - making sure this is not a cancerous spread.

Dr.Customer:

Does this help?

Dr.Customer:

Do you have further questions?

JACUSTOMER-40grw4s5- :

thanks very much on clearing that up about the mri i am a bit worried now as i was told cysts are non cancerous

Dr.Customer:

Usually they aren't.

Dr.Customer:

That is why my first answer was more likely about a channel.

JACUSTOMER-40grw4s5- :

ah i see i have had this cyst for about a year now and have no other health issues to date apart from constant leaking from one side of my nose closest to the cyst

Dr.Customer:

That makes sense.

Dr.Customer:

Usually such cysts are surgically removed. First, of course, they need to make sure there is no channel that is causing it. Sometimes in women a plastic surgeon will do it instead of a general surgeon.

JACUSTOMER-40grw4s5- :

brilliant thanks just one last question does the contrast injection have any side effects should i have someone take me to hospital instead of driving

Dr.Customer:

It shouldn't have any effects that will limit your ability to drive.

Dr.Customer:

It's always nice to have someone along for moral support though :)

JACUSTOMER-40grw4s5- :

sorry this is last question how long for recovery period after this cyst removal

Dr.Customer:

Recovery, as in being able to go back to work, by the next day.

Dr.Customer:

Recovery as in no more cut/cyst/scar, the scar can take a long time.

Dr.Customer:

A lot about the resolution of the scar will have to do with the skill of the surgeon doing the procedure.

Dr.Customer:

It is not a big procedure, and most likely won't be done under general anesthesia.

JACUSTOMER-40grw4s5- :

i have been told that they will be going up through the inside of my lip i do not want a scar on my face in view

Dr.Customer:

That is great!

JACUSTOMER-40grw4s5- :

and a sample will go to lab for testing which i guess is normal procedure

Dr.Customer:

Then the first few days might be a bit rough, as far as eating or drinking, and the doctor will tell you exactly what you can or can't do, but after the first few days you should see a daily recovery

Dr.Customer:

Yes, that is standard procedure.

JACUSTOMER-40grw4s5- :

ok thanks very much for your help with my questions much appreciated

Dr.Customer:

No problem.

Dr.Customer:

G-d Bless

Dr.Customer:

Feel free to come back with any more questions before and/or after you've paid.

Dr.Customer:

I hope I have given you "excellent service".