Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi, I came off HRT ten months ago having taken it for ten

I came off HRT ten months ago having taken it for ten years approximately. I am now suffering from severe sweating throughout the day and night. I am wondering if this is normal,how long will it go on and is there anything I can take to help.? I cannot cope with this awful feeling. Also sometimes I feel irritable. Is it possible to go back on HRT perhaps. I was taking Activelle ?
MM
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Can I first ask why you stopped the Activelle and whether you've now discussed the problem with your doctor and had your hormone levels checked? Do you have any other medical conditions or take any other medications?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I gave up the medication because of the advise given with regard to the risk of Breast cancer. I am wondering if it is possible to go back onto HRT. this feeling is making life miserable. My GP has nothing to recommend and says I could be like this for my lifetime. What a thought. I have inflammatory osteoarthritis also and am taking Arava for that.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Marie and we can continue after this if you'd like. Yes, of course, there's the risk of breast and uterine cancer with long term HRT therapy and for you to go back on it would require your doctor's agreeing to take that risk with your understanding and permission. Alternately you could try to relieve your symptoms with natural supplements like black cohash, B complex vitamin supplments, vitamin E supplements, and omega 3 fatty acid supplements. Acupuncture could also help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How good is black cohash at relieving symptoms as unfortunately it is not available in Ireland so I wonder should I buy it from the UK.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I've had several of my patients who've tried it and found it very effective. You can buy it over the internet if necessary