Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

My 46 year old son lives in London and is suffering from very

My 46 year old son lives in London and is suffering from very heavy nerve pain in his groin.
He is finding difficulty in getting quick help - he is on pain drugs but finds that they are not reducing the pain - he is by himself and cannot walk due to the pain - he tried to call an ambulance but got the reply that they could not carry him down from his flat due to 'health & safety'. I am worried that I do not know what advice to give to him to get help. Can you help?
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Charogat :

Hi, and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with you question.

Dr. Charogat :

My first question (I ask because I am in the USA) is it legal in the UK for an ambulance to refuse to pick up a patient?

Customer:

I do not know

Dr. Charogat :

The first step I would do is call the ambulance again, while calling any official there to find out if this is legal. The hospital emergency department may be able to tell you the same thing.

Dr. Charogat :

I thing considering his level of pain that your son does need to go to the hospital.

Dr. Charogat :

One of the possible issues that I fear is that he has a hernia that is getting strangulated -- that means that a piece of intestine went into the hernia sack and is no longer getting blood supply.

Dr. Charogat :

This is a complication that can be deadly, so he really needs to get it checked out.

Dr. Charogat :

I'm doing a quick internet search and it seems that it is illegal in the UK for them to refuse to take your son.

Dr. Charogat :

You can try calling for the ambulance again. If they refuse him then the "base" (ambulance company) should be called.

Dr. Charogat :

The computer is telling me that you are in the chat, but I haven't heard back from you at all yet. In three minutes the computer will prompt you to pay more to continue this chat. I will try to pause the timer, but I don't know if that will work.

Customer:

I am talking to my son

Dr. Charogat :

Okay.

Dr. Charogat :

Would you like me to change this to a question/answer type session (it is more like email as opposed to chat where we can both be typing at the same time). For Q/A there is no extra charge when time runs out. For chat sessions JustAnswer will charge you extra for more time.

Customer:

I'ts OK you have helped thanks.

Customer:

Cheers

Dr. Charogat :

G-d Bless

Dr. Charogat :

Please let me know if there is anything further you need.

Dr. Charogat :

I hope you have found my service "excellent" so that you can rate it as such.

Customer:

Dr. Charogat :

Hoping also that your son gets the help and relief he needs very soon!