Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a large pad of flesh? protruding from my umbilicus to

I have a large pad of flesh? protruding from my umbilicus to my rib cage. It is rectangular, fixed and does not hurt. I had an ultrasound two years ago as my GP felt a much smaller version of this by palpation but nothing was found except fluid and fat. Having been embarrassed by that I have been reluctant to show this. I'd like to know what organ lies between the umbilicus and the rib cage (I am diabetic 1 and was always told to avoid this area for injection.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--is this in the skin and your abdominal wall or is it deep inside? Is this soft and movable?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It has been deeper inside but has grown to protrude against the abdominal wall.It is not particularly soft or moveable at all.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Wendy and we can continue after this if you'd like. One thing this could be would be an abdominal wall hernia but the ultrasound should have detected it as such. Much more likely is that this is a lipoma--a benign fatty tumor. Those aren't really dangerous but they can grow and if they become bothersome they can be easily surgically removed. This isn't any organ inside your abdomen. An MRI or a ct scan of the abdomen would better define exactly what this is.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I did not suspect cancer, but was somewhat concerned about the bowel/intestine area as I have had (symptomless) severe diverticular disease for five years. also my liver ggt results are higher with each blood test and I do not drink. As long as I don't have to worry about either of these reasons for the growth I am happy to wait and see.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Again, Wendy, this isn't cancer and it isn't an organ poking through your abdominal wall. Hope I eased your concern. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you