Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)
9385906

I want to know about treatment options for schizophrenia .

I want to know about treatment options for schizophrenia . My son is taking risperidone and it makes him very very tired which causes depression.
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 2 years ago.
Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

Kindly answer a few queries.

1) What dose of risperidone is being given to the patient ?

2) Since how long risperidone is being taken ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He takes 0.5 in morning and 0.5 in evening.2 and a half years.

Thanks for the inputs.
Well better options for your son's underlying diagnosis of schizophrenia replacing the current risperidone which makes him tired and depressed are -- Aripiprazole at dose of 10-15 mg / day preferably taken in the morning as a single dose or Quetiapine at dose of 50-300 mg / day to be taken in the night as a single dose.
You see the above two mentioned drugs as replacement options for risperidone are not only good in controlling symptoms of schizophrenia but at the same time are much less associated with side effects plus as an advantage they improve depressive cognition/ thinking as well as infuse energy and enthusiasm in the person which have been taken away by risperidone.
So you may discuss these two options with your doctor and cohesively choose any one of them to replace risperidone.
I hope this helps.
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is very helpful. I understand its one or the other of the above , not both to replace the risperidone, right?

Can you tell me how many patients you have seen make this switch and if it improved symptoms every time?

How often should a patient have a blood test if being treated with the anti psychotics?

Yes. It is one of the two drugs that needs to be used to replace risperidone.
Must be over 200-300 patients have been switched and all have done better with either of these drug options as compared to risperidone in terms of such symptoms like yours.
These anti psychotics are fairly safe although one's lipid profile, ECG, specifically QTC interval, complete blood count and blood sugar need to be carried before starting these antipsychotics with none of these drugs being an exception and then the tests may be repeated every 6 months or so.
I hope this sums it up for you.
Wish you all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Excellent advise . Thank You. My son's doctor changed him to 10 mg of Aripiprazole and my son has seen dramatic improvements in a very short time. He says its an anti depressant, anti psychotic and gives him energy all at same time. However, doctor did not mention about the tests you refer to. can you tell me what this testing is and why its important?

Now that my sons energy/ mood has improved the next issue is that the risperidone made him put on 50 lbs of weight.He used to be trim and fit and being in his 20's the weight has caused depression.Is aripiprazole known for weight gain? What can you recommend for the weight issue?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again, my son says the energy he feels from the medication is wonderful..... he asks if there is anything else he can take for extra energy. Right now he is taking vivance. He says that before he was taking dexederine, these are for his ADD. He says that although the dexederine was giving him energy and focus it was causing him to feel a little paranoid. The vivance gives him energy but not the same focus capacity as dexederine or adder all..... Are there other alternatives? What are they? Is there anything that can give you razor sharp focus? For studies and exams? Look forward to your answer......

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you know anything about Phenylpiracetam

Greetings.
Well, if the doctor did not suggest any of those tests that i have mentioned then there is no issue since these tests may not be followed by all psychiatrists. Any which way the tests may not affect his prognosis aka improvement with this drug which is fairly safe to use.
Aripiprazole is unique in a way that it does not cause weight gain as opposed to other similar drugs like risperidone and others.
He shall start doing cardio exercises daily and regulate his eating by taking small frequent meals in a gap of 3-4 hours and cut down on fried & oil rich meals, sugar drinks/beverages.
I will not suggest use of psycho-stimulant drugs like vyvanse or dexedrine for him since these drugs can precipitate or worsen one's paranoia and delusions and psychotic traits. So in your son kindly tr not to use any of them , since they will do more harm than good b delaying and even compromising his recovery.
As far as the focus is concerned, that will only come eventually once the drug aripiprazole has settled in his system which will take 3-4 weeks.
Phenylpiracetam is a nootropic agent that improves cognitive functioning such as memory, recall, learning, attention, focus, concentration, etc. However , since this drug can easily devellop tolerance thereby becoming ineffective after a while, so a better way to use it is to take it for a few days before exams and the stopping it when the need is over.
I hope this helps.
Wish you all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again,

I cant tell you how happy myself and my son are with your advise because there has been a big improvement since taking the meds you said to switch to. It is fantastic that you can supply answers to questions instead of waiting weeks upon weeks for an appointment with NHS doctors. Where are you located? My son has had many different diagnosis since diagnosed with ADHA in early childhood. He has been diagnosed with bi polar, schizo affective, schizophrenia, depression, adult add. It has been hard for him to trust with so many variations of diagnosis . He said if you are within traveling distance he wants to be your patient. Hopefully you are within easy reach for an appointment?