Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

hi. Need some serious help. 4 months ago I suffered multiple

Customer Question

hi. Need some serious help. 4 months ago I suffered multiple fractures after being run over by a car and driven over. C2 fracture and also an issue with my c6 and c7, both scapulas, multiple ribs, orbital fracture and pelvis and all managed conservately. 3 weeks ago when I was told to remove my neck brace I started getting pain between my right scapula and spine. I went to see a locum GP doctor (not my usual GP) today and without a physical examination and without even reading my notes (I say this coz he kept asking me what injuries and why I was using crutches) I suffered even though the hospital sent all my follow up records to my GP) he just prescribed me diazepam. I asked him if it's a pinched nerve and his reply was "could be", I then asked him is this permanent and going to be forever and his answer again was "could be, I'm not an expert". He also asked ME what I want him to do even though HE is the doctor! I am really struggling with this issue and it's stressing me out. I have tried hot and cold packs, stretches, resting the shoulder, pain killers as well but the pain just never goes and comes back. Please help as I don't know what to do apart from go back to the GP as the diazepam is not going to solve the problem or rectify it. I have tried also zappAin painkillers and also gabapentin, medicine doesn't help and I need a diagnosis. As noted been suffering from this for weeks and I don't think it's going to go away without medical intervention. I have tried hot and cold treatments to the affected area and also stretching but nothing works. The medicines I have don't even get rid of the pain fully they just seem to lessen it until the medicine has worn off.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is is Dr. David

Dr. David :

it definitely sounds like pinched nerve pain in your neck.

Dr. David :

what you really need is a cervical spine MRI scan of your neck to see the injury there and where the pain is coming from

Dr. David :

if the soft or hard neck brace was helping with the pain, I would wear it again.

Dr. David :

you need to go back to your GP doctor and ask for a cervical spine MRI scan and a referal to a pain medicine doctor and ask for a prescription for stronger pain medications like morphine or oxycodone or a fentanyl patch or methadone.

Dr. David :

that is what that doctor should be doing.

Dr. David :

you might need surgery to repair your C2 fracture

JACUSTOMER-tow5xk6h- : Hi Dr David. Yes the hard cervical collar stops the pain but as soon as I take it off which I have been advised to do so as my fracture in the nevk had healed. They did do an MRI do make sure it had healed properly but don't think they looked for anythin regarding nerves as at this point I was not experiencing pain but soon as I had got home that same day I removed it and pain started
Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

I would put the collar back on and get back to your GP doctor.

Dr. David :

I would get a copy of your MRI scan and see what it showed.

Dr. David :

your neck muscles might have atrophied during your accident and healing progress over the last 4 months.

Dr. David :

you might need to do some physical therapy to help strengthen your neck muscles at this point

JACUSTOMER-tow5xk6h- : I will return to GP and see my normal doctor as opposed to the locum I saw last time. I will ask to be reffered back to the spinal consultant at the hospital who originally dealt with me. Thank you for your help. Good to know there are doctors out there who are interested in patients as opposed to the locum doctor I met lastt time.
Dr. David :

yes, it sounds like that last doctor was not very helpful.

Dr. David :

when the neck brace is off, the weight of your head is on your spine

Dr. David :

and your muscles in your neck and bones might be too weak at this point to hold your head up.

Dr. David :

so ask for a referral for physical therapy

Dr. David :

and stronger pain medications.

Dr. David :

and get a copy of your prior MRI scan.

Dr. David :

I hope with more time, your neck muscles will strengthen and your pain will get better without the brace.

Dr. David :

good luck

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

JACUSTOMER-tow5xk6h- : Also can weak neck muscles cause the pinched nerve as even though I am not wearing a collar at the moment as advised by doc but as I haven't used my next for months I can't actually turn my head sue to stiffness. Doctor said he wants me to start physio on neck in couple weeks
Dr. David :

yes, weak muscles can cause pinched nerves and pain.

Dr. David :

you will need to slowly increase strengthen and flexibility of your neck.

Dr. David :

I'm sure your neck is stiff and weak

JACUSTOMER-tow5xk6h- : Thank you for your help. Il rate now
Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

best of luck to you

Dr. David :

thanks for rating positive feedback.

Dr. David :

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/?rpt=3800

Dr. David :

is my website if you need to reach me again.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr David
We had a chat over a month ago about a trapped nerve in my neck and now it has been nearly 2 months since I had a trapped nerve in my neck. As noted previously the trapped nerve occurred after I removed my neck brace after 4 months due to a fracture.
I have had physio, seen GP who just gave me painkillers and said it will go away. I have also been doing neck exercises daily 4 times a day and every week go see a physio for neck manipulation. The trapped nerve is still there and pain has nt really improved.
My question is how long before this trapped nerve becomes a serious issue and when should the GP refer me to a specialist.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
with new questions like this after so long, please start a new question for me here

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

thanks.