Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

How do my dads brain Mets seem worse 5 weeks after radium treatment

Customer Question

How do my dads brain Mets seem worse 5 weeks after radium treatment will he ever get any relief from these awful symptoms or
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. This is the second time you've posted this question so please use respond to expert to stay on this page. What are his symptoms that are worsening?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
His mobility has gone he can't balance or stand up ,he can bend legs do leg raises his finer and greater motor skills are very good both right and left arms still work he has a Foley catheter for urinary retention but is fully continent of his bowel ,although the nursing staff are encouraging Him to defiicate on a pad ,he has been told he will not be getting physio as it not worth the time,he is due home FRiday with some home care but it has been implemented that he will not be toilette don a bedpan as it's too much work for the carers he must defiicate on a pad he is devastated and has lost the will to live . I am very concerned as I have taken time off work and have been nursing dad from diagnosis but this social worker in 3minutes has basically ripped his world apart
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I understand what you must be going through. What of those symptoms have worsened since the radiation therapy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He can't stand up or get out of bed his back is poker straight
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. Do you know if he's on anything like dexamethasone for possible brain swelling after the treatment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes they upped his dex a week after radium also he was administered hydrocortisone as radium hospital stopped the dex withou tapering he was on maintanance dose of 4mg for 6months then after discharge from radium hospital they stopped abruptly even though I sent him in to hospital with his steroid card , to be honest the dex robbed my dad of his mobility when hen started taking them his electrolytes were all over the place but as he started tapering down his mobility slowly was coming back
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK We can certainly continue after this if you'd like but radiation therapy does cause brain swelling afterwards and of course the steroids are to help with that. At this point the swelling should have stabilized and it may take another two weeks for it to start to decrease and allow his mobility to return. One thing more here--it sounds like your dad is--understandably--depressed. If he hasn't been offered an antidepressant he should since that will help him as he slowly recovers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When dad was admitted to hospital he had chronic dhioreah for a month they sent his stools for analysis but could find nothing wrong ,one month later when I aired my concerns it transpired that they had been dosing him with laxatives and that was where the diareah was coming from he had major dehydration ,and electrolyte problems,almost every other day when I visited there was another iv be administered also he had issues with his catheter for 1week it had been retaining 200mls was catheter was encrusted penis was infected ext could these problems in any way have marred my dads recouperation
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes indeed. Unless he had good replacement for his potassium and sodium loss as well as fluid supplementation that could well have debilitated him. And if he had a bladder infection that may still not have been treated with antibiotics that can often cause neurological problems in older people.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dad was sent home 2consecutive days in a row from ane I thought he had sepsis because although his temp was stable he was shaky and sweaty and generally feeling malaised also his urine was smelling fermented on his third admission it was confirmed he had 2 pulmory embulisims can a uti contribute to a pulmory embulism his blood sugars were 12 on the first admission the para medic was concerned about a block to left atrium also dad had coughed blood up he was dismissed was told another one from the cancer helpline they just send you lot in with anything your ok for your next chemo and I'm not going to bother checking your urine because it will probably be full of bacteria off your catheter you can go home now there's a taxi rank outside is this bad bedside manner
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes indeed it is and I'm sorry he had that kind of treatment. But for now, since I have to be off, could you please rate my service to you and then if you have more to discuss about your dad we can do that on a fresh page that you can open by using the link below my photo?