Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have suffered with a very raw painful throat for 7 months

Customer Question

I have suffered with a very raw painful throat for 7 months now. I was diagnosed with a small hiatus hernia but still get painful throats a lot if the time. I am taking 20mg of omezprazole daily and gaviscon. I don't drink and have given up caffeine totally and spicy foods but in my case as I don't have heartburn just the throat its hard to know the triggers for me. I often feel as though I want to burb but can't and my voice feels hoarse. I also feel totally exhausted all the time and am asleep most nights by 9 0r 10. It has gone on so long and effected my life so much that I dont want to socialise and have had anxiety and felt low. I work with the public and have had time off due to the talking making my thoat worse. My doctor at one point said i had health anxiety and my throat was a symptom but I feel fine on the days I don't have it. I am attending CBT counselling at present but also requested that I see a gastroenterolist to discuss the possibly of an operation as I am so down about it all. Any advice at all would be helpful. I must add i found 40mg of omezprazole gave me a very uncomfortable feeling in my chest but I have started to take one rantidine daily as well to see if that helps. Just can't get my life back on track with this thing and battling anxiety as well now. I worry that te acid still coming up will cause cancer.
Kelly
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
What evaluation has been done thus far for acid reflux?
Have you tried placing blocks under the feet at the head of the bed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes to blocks and more pillows but I am never disturbed during the night by my sore throat.
I ve had an endoscopy that discovered the hiatus hernia and also the consultant looked at my throat under general anaesthetic and found nothing sinister.
Thank you for the additional information.

It is good that an endoscopy has been done, as that is the best test to determine if there has been such changes from the acid reflux that there is a significant risk for the development of cancer.

There are several options for treatment of acid reflux. Lifestyle modification would be appropriate regardless of which medicines are used. Even if the symptoms are not bothersome at night, it is important to treat the acid reflux while asleep, because the reflux typically is worse when lying down. The proton pump inhibitors, such as the omeprazole, are usually the best medicines to be used for acid reflux, although some people require a higher dose. In your case, since the higher dose of the omeprazole causes side effects, using the ranitidine is a reasonable consideration, but for acid reflux, the ranitidine is usually taken twice daily.

In someone with a persistent sore throat due to acid reflux, despite appropriate use of medicines to suppress stomach acid, it is appropriate to consider surgery, as this is one of the indications for surgery. However, if your doctor suspects that there may be a component of health anxiety contributing to the sore throat, it would usually be necessary to repeat the endoscopy after a couple months of appropriate treatment to confirm that the acid reflux is continuing. Another option would be to perform a 24 hour oesophageal pH probe.

So, it would be reasonable to use the ranitidine twice daily while continuing the other interventions. If the sore throat persists, then confirming the persistence of the acid reflux would indicate that surgery should be considered.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply . I wasn't offered a ph probe and had to ask to see the gastroentrologist . I feel I am expected to live with this sore throat but i worry it will eventually cause cancer if the acid isnt stopped. The fact I got anxiety over this seems to have sidetracked the doctors. You can't be positive if you have a sore throat for months at a time can you.? I am working on the anxiety but the throat is still there.
Can I ask you does reflux make you extremely tired as I am exhausted all the time.
Kelly
Acid reflux typically does not directly affect energy levels, but it is possible that acid reflux can affect getting a good night of sleep, and over time, this can cause exhaustion.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If acid is still burning my throat on a regular basis can this lead to me developing cancer as this is one of my main worries
It is more of a risk of development of a cancer of the oesophagus, but there is no similar evidence of risk for cancer of the throat.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So do you think it's very important for me to get this sorted out and not just simply live with a sore throat. My doc other day said it wouldn't cause cancer .
But he is thinking that there is a significant component of anxiety, and if that is true, he is correct. However, if there truly is acid reflux causing the symptom, then it would be important to get this addressed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well there is anxiety involved but would this cause the uncomfortable feelings in my chest and hoarse voice and feeling of wanting to clear my throat. I am doing everything possible to Work on the anxiety but on the days my throats sore I am just so fed up of it I don't want to do anything. A ph test would prove it wouldn't it?
Anxiety can cause all of these symptoms.

Either an endoscopy or a 24 hour pH probe can document continued acid reflux despite treatment.