Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have just had endoscopy done, they found lax lower oesophagul

I have just had endoscopy done, they found lax lower oesophagul sphincter, a tortous oesophagus, reflux observed during endoscopy, an irregular og junction. Low-grade non-erosive gastro-oesophagul reflux disease, pan gastritis. Negative for h-pylori and waiting for other biopsy results. I am very concerned about all of this and eosemaprazole is not helping, I have been on this several wks. I have intense pressure/pain behind sternum and stabbing pain between shoulder blades. I feel like food gest stuck and then I get oesophagul spasms, I have ended up in hospital 2/3 times and this has all flared up in the last several wks. I am really worried about tortous oesophagus, what can be done to help me. I have pressure in back and chest all the time and it all hurts when I breath in deeply, I also have a small sliding hiatas hernia.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

There is no specific medicinal treatment for the tortuous oesophagus, but usually, treatment of the acid reflux is sufficient in these cases. When the starting dose of esomeprazole is not able to get control of acid reflux, the usual next step would be to augment the esomeprazole with antacids, and preferably a liquid antacid. Another option would be to use a higher dose of the esomeprazole, usually first by doubling the dose, although there are some cases in which very high doses may be used.

In those few cases in which a tortuous oesophagus is causing symptoms once there has been adequate control of the acid reflux, the usual treatment would be surgery to correctly align the oesophagus. If necessary, surgery also can be considered to help the lax oesophageal sphincter, usually by performing a fundoplication in which part of the stomach is wrapped around the lower oesophagus.

So, at this point, it would be appropriate to more aggressively treat the stomach acid by augmenting with liquid antacid, but several other options can be considered, if necessary.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou for letting me know what will more thank likely lie ahead of me. I also have been getting lots of headaches in back of head and numbness/weakness in left arm during spasms. Prior to all this starting several weeks back my son jumped on top my back and hurt this very much, I also came off anti-biotics which I had been on for several weeks. symptoms started 2-3 wks afterwards and I ended up in hospital with severe chest and back crushing pain, shoulder, left arm pain and severe headache in back of head. My brother has just had heart stent surgery at age of 44 and 3 mild heart attacks prior to this. Do you think it is a good idea to get my heart checked out? I have had ecg, bloods & chest x-ray which were ok. The pressure pain is like something I have never experienced in my chest and it makes me cry in pain. What causes oesophagus to become tortous and how is this corrected by surgery, many thanks

Since the oesophageal problems can be causing chest pain, it would usually be better to treat the oesophageal problems and then see if there is any residual symptoms to decide whether to perform any cardiac evaluation. However, if this pressure-type pain persists, it would be appropriate to pursue a cardiac evaluation.

A tortuous oesophagus usually is from altered development and surgery will reorient the oesophagus into its proper alignment.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you

You are certainly welcome. I hoe that everything goes well.

If I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating, so that I am credited for assisting you.