Dr Mask
Dr Mask, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS with 06 years Clinical Exposure in Surgery & Internal Medicine
27212923

What is the incubation period of virol meningitis if you have

What is the incubation period of virol meningitis
if you have have come into contact with someone
now diagnosed
Expert:  Dr Mask replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer
Viral meningitis incubation period is variable. It can be from a few days to a few weeks. Defined by the type of virus. For example enterovirus the most cause for viral meningitis may have an incubation period of 3 to 7 days.
Most commonly the symptoms are mild and people recover in a matter of 7 to 10 days.
However in case of severe symptoms admission to a hospital is required.
Hope this helped you understand the situation best.
If satisfied please do remember to click on Positive Rating (Preferably number 5 please) If you need further clarification please do let me know instead of any Rating.
Dr MASK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when you say can be a few weeks how many weeks I cam into contact with some one staying with us last week who went home to Spain on Monday at felt un well that day and on arriving home was admitted to hospital and has been diagnosed today with Viral meningitis so need to know how long before I can be sure I am ok. I am 67 and Diabetic. Thank you

Expert:  Dr Mask replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for further information and the follow up :)
It can be up to 2-3 weeks as in the case of Arboviruses. However it is generally not common to be communicable from person to person in this type of viral meningitis.
So if you are interested to know for how long can you transmit the disease. Then the answer is, for enterovirus: These can be shed in the respiratory system for up to a week after the onset of symptoms so other people can get it from you for that period. On the other hand the arboviruses are although generally not communicable from person to person still I have mentioned the incubation period above.
If you are talking of the time period you should start feeling better and out of it then that would be around 7-10 days.
Hope this helped you understand the situation further.
Warm Regards
Dr MASK