Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My Mum, Sister and I have all suffered breast pain in our left

My Mum, Sister and I have all suffered breast pain in our left breast only for years. We've all had mammograms and been told we have not got breast cancer.
Personally, I've tried high doses of evening primrose oil and making sure my bra is a perfect fit with no wire touching breast tissue. Nothing works and I'm still in pain every day. The pain started 12 years ago for me. After I breastfed my daughter.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--can you tell me more about the pain and is your breast actually tender?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, My pain is all down the left side of my breast. My whole breast looks slightly inflamed and it's tender just down the left side.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Karen--are you also tender along your breast bone just to the left of your breast?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just to the left of my breast and on the left hand side of my body next to my breast. I always notice it's worse when I lay down and I find it uncomfortable to lay on my left side. I never have any problem at all on my right side.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Karen. Then this really isn't your breast but something called costochondritis--an inflammation of the cartilage that connects the ribs to the breast bone. Nothing too serious but it can be treated with ibuprofen, heat, and, if necessary a cortisone injection in the area. You should discuss this with your doctor.