Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Will work question low mood being on my sick note when it's

Will work question low mood being on my sick note when it's really depression/stress
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Please provide more details regarding your present symptoms and also about the various treatments that you have tried? What is your age and gender?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tearfulness, suicidal feelings, panic attacks, agitation. Was prescribed antidepressants but had a bad reaction so have been advised to stop and referred to counselling. Female and 38 years old

Dear customer,

Sorry to hear that you are suffering from depression. Which medication were you initially prescribed that led to the adverse effect?
What is your present question.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Fluotetine. I was concerned that work would not see 'low mood' as being serious enough for time off as I really have depression?

Dear customer,

So is your question whether why your doctor mentioned low mood instead of depression in your note?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I had told me boss it was depression and stress which I discussed with the GP however she put low mood on the sick note and told me it was the same thing - just wondered if work would question this?

Dear customer,

Mood can be normal, elevated, or depressed, and healthy persons experience a wide range of moods. However a person is said to have depression when he/she has symptoms that last at least 2 weeks, and typically a person with a diagnosis of a major depressive episode also experiences at least four symptoms from a list that includes changes in appetite and weight, changes in sleep and activity, lack of energy, feelings of guilt, problems thinking and making decisions, and recurring thoughts of death or suicide.

Hence though depression is a low mood, however this is a low mood lasting for more than 2 weeks.

Take care.