Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Eight weeks ago I had sinus congestion which resulted in a

Eight weeks ago I had sinus congestion which resulted in a painful left ear which was treated with Doxycycline. This cured the pain in that ear but I have had terrible congestion in my sinuses ever since. Now I have a painful right ear and terrible congestion which I just can't shift despite using Olbas Oil nasal stick, Vicks Nasal Rub and steaming. I've now been given a course of Amoxicillan 500mg 3 times a day but this is the fourth day of that an no change. I wake in the morning terribly bunged up and my hearing is now affected. I'm also using an Otrivine Spray which does relieve the pressure in my ears and helps me to breathe more freely but when I wake in the morning all the symptoms are back with a vengeance. Is this just a waiting game with fingers crossed that one day I will wake up and it will all be gone ? Or what else can I try. Any advice welcome please.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Hasan :

Dr. Hasan :

Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

I am an Ea, Nose and Throat specialist and can assist you.

Dr. Hasan :

Ear*

Dr. Hasan :

Since how long you are on otrivine?

Customer:

Only 4 days and this is the only thing to give me some relief from the pressure in my ears.

Dr. Hasan :

How are you steaming?

Dr. Hasan :

are you adding anything in water?

Customer:

With a steaming machine putting in a small menthol crystal in the water.

Dr. Hasan :

that's good

Dr. Hasan :

Do you have any diagnosed medical problem?

Customer:

This is helping my nose congestion but not helping my ears at all. When I move my head the right ear feels as though there is liquid moving around in it.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes I know what you are suffering from

Customer:

I have mild high blood pressure

Dr. Hasan :

I will give my suggestions. Just need to know about your medical problems and have you seen ENT doctor so far?

Dr. Hasan :

Ok fine

Dr. Hasan :

Have you seen ENT?

Customer:

No only visited my GP

Dr. Hasan :

Any CT scan or X rays done?

Customer:

No

Dr. Hasan :

Thank you for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want.

Customer:

OK

Dr. Hasan :

You are suffering from sinus infection blocking your Eustachian tubes and causing build of fluid in your middle ear.

Dr. Hasan :

We call it otitis media with effusion.

Dr. Hasan :

You are already doing much but definitely I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations you can add over the counter available tab benadryl twice daily.

Dr. Hasan :

adding sudafed is much better in such cases which is a systemic decongestant but we can't add in your case because it can affect blood pressure.

Dr. Hasan :

Use otrivine for 3 more days and use three times a day.

Dr. Hasan :

Fifteen minutes after using it take your steam.

Dr. Hasan :

This is how steam can go in your sinuses.

Dr. Hasan :

Moreover use chewing gum frequently.

Dr. Hasan :

This opens up the eustachian tube by movement of palate. The muscle that moves eustachian tube is attached to palate actually.

Dr. Hasan :

Are you using otrivine three times a day?

Customer:

No I was only using it in the morning and at bedtime as it said it lasted for 10 hours ?

Customer:

Will I be OK to use Bendryl with my blood pressure?

Dr. Hasan :

Yes you can use it with caution.

Dr. Hasan :

You should monitor your blood pressure while taking it.

Dr. Hasan :

Otherwise you can use claritin once daily

Customer:

OK I will try all this.

Dr. Hasan :

Lastly start using nasacort nasal spray 2 puffs twice daily

Dr. Hasan :

It's a steroid spray and just act on nose.

Dr. Hasan :

It is for long term control of your problem.

Dr. Hasan :

Don't worry you will get better.

Dr. Hasan :

It is OTC in US and in UK you have to check but I think you can get it over the counter as well.

Dr. Hasan :

Now more important is this that what your doctor can do because you are suffering from this for last 8 weeks

Dr. Hasan :

You must ask your GP to get your CT of nose and sinuses and refer you to an ENT specialist.

Dr. Hasan :

You ENT must do your nasal endoscopy as well to look for what is causing this again and again.

Dr. Hasan :

And in the end I would like to share a home remedy. Take 250 ml of honey, add one table spoon each of ginger extract and black pepper. Make a solution and take one teaspoon twice daily. It might take few days but will help you.

Dr. Hasan :

Any question please?

Customer:

Thank you I will try all of this. I have been taking manuka honey in hot water but I will try with ginger and black pepper. I also think the chewing of gum will help as I seem to have a swollen neck below my jaw.

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome. You should ask your ENT to check your neck as if the swelling below jaw is related to any lymph nodes etc.

Dr. Hasan :

But till then try my suggestions and hope for the best.

Dr. Hasan :

My best wishes and prayers will be with you.

Dr. Hasan :

I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer:

Thank you you have been most helpful.

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome :)