Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I recently had a uti the urine sample came back as Pseudomonus

I recently had a uti the urine sample came back as Pseudomonus infection I was treated with Co Amoxiclav which seems to have cleared the infection but I have been left with white blood cells in my urine I presumed there was a residual infection there but the Doctor didn't seem concerned but I am should I worry about it ? would it be advisable to have another course of antibiotics to prevent an occurrence of the infection again I am a very fit 70 year old female Thank you in advance for your help .Patricia
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. If the number of white blood cells are above the normal range then yes your doctor should consider giving you further antibiotics. Persistence of white blood cells above normal reference range means that infection is still present and should be treated. The symptoms have gone away but infection has not completely resolved so yes to further antibiotics in my opinion. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for accepting the offer. You can come on this page any time to ask anything. You can share your reports and further proceedings. I will be glad to assist you always. Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have made another appointment with another Doctor at my Practice tomorrow can I ask her to prescribe more antibiotics or do I have to accept it if she won't ? I am seriously worried that I might suffer the same infection again

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
How high are your current white blood cells in urine report?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

According to the dipstick test it is ca 75

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Well the results of dipstick are not always sensitive and true. If you are symptomatically better and have taken antibiotics, visit your doctor and get urine microscopy done in a lab. This will clarify the situation. It is fair possibility that your urine test will be normal. Don't rely on dipstick. Co Amoxiclav contains clavulanic acid and it is known to cause false positive results on dipstick. So you need a urine routine examination under microscope and hopefully it will be clear. If it is not then get antibiotics. Regards