Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

i had a flu jab a week today,last friday i went down with a

i had a flu jab a week today,last friday i went down with a very severe soar throat and chesty cough which i still have,Do you think the flu jab started all this off
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Does the cough seem to be subsiding?

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and use reply to respond.

Customer:

ive had it since friday,its not has bad now,but im exhausted from coughing all day and night,i had a very cold shake in the night when i could not stop shaking untill i got back into bed,then i had a tempreture later

Dr Uzair :

Cough after a viral attack can take at least 5 to 10 days to completely go away, but the fever is concerning, a fever after the acute attack has subsided could mean secondary bacterial infection.

Dr Uzair :

If the fever was more than 100, then you should seek medical attention and possibly a course of antibiotics.

Dr Uzair :

But if the fever was low grade, then you need to give yourself some more rest and care.

Customer:

i have been taking paracetamol every 5 hours yeaterday

Dr Uzair :

Which means that any fever that was supposed to be high grade would actually be masked or show up as a low grade fever.

Dr Uzair :

Do you feel that your chest is congested?

Customer:

i must admit reat does seem the cure,is there anything else i should take to ease my sore throat,i have been bringing up flem,it seems to be breaking up,sorry i have been taking honey also

Customer:

rest

Dr Uzair :

Honey is a good remedy with a pinch of freshly ground black pepper for cough and to soothe the throat.

Dr Uzair :

Here is what I think you should do as adjunct to what you are already doing:

Dr Uzair :

Two paracetamol (500 mg) every 6 hours, steam inhalations with menthol crystals every 4 hours and then coughing and expectorating the phlegm out forcefully, lozenges with anesthetic properties, saline gargles every 4 hours and bed rest.

Dr Uzair :

You should also apply vaporubs to your chest and neck area and keep yourself warm.

Dr Uzair :

If despite all this, the cough does not get better and you experience a fever with chills, then a visit to the ER or Urgent care will be warranted.

Customer:

thank you so much

Dr Uzair :

Pleasure to be of service.