Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My husband is 83. He has had two heart attacks, has a blocked

My husband is 83. He has had two heart attacks, has a blocked artery and two,stents fitted. He is on the lowest dose of Lycinoprol ,for hypertension. Until recently he has been very fit despite this and attends the Heart Club ( exercise) weekly as well as living a full active life. Prior to August his BP was in the 150's We then bought a Nugabest Nugabed ( massage bed) as we had heard so many good reports for all sorts of problems including to do with heart & BP. & lowering cholesterol.
Within 2 weeks of having the bed his BP regularised to 125/ 75 or 80 and it remained like that until about a month ago when about once a week he would get a Very High reading and then a very low ( 105) on the whole he felt Ok still. Then a week ago he became very tired. This gradually got worse and today he is sleeping most of the day and his BP this morning was 90/50
He yesterday saw his GP who could not find much wrong with him. His BP was 150 when she took it. He had developed a bit of a sore throat and a slight cough that morning and she thought he might be going down with something. She gave him some anti bionics to,take if things "got worse" but she did not know if it was bacterial or viral. He has not yet taken them.
In your opinion is this absolute exhaustion anything specific to,worry about and how about the BP 90/50'which has risen to 105/70 by lunch time?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The exhaustion is a common symptom that can occur with a wide variety of infections. It is not specific to any infection, but it is a general reflection of the severity of the infection. It also can be a sign that there is a need for more fluid, particularly since the exhaustion was associated with a low blood pressure. Any infection can increase the need for fluid, so also is not specific to any infection.

At this point, it would be appropriate to increase fluid intake to see if these problems improve. The blood pressure is already somewhat better, but he may feel better if the blood pressure gets closer to his baseline level. In addition, since his doctor prescribed the antibiotic to take if things got worse, the exhaustion and drop in blood pressure would qualify and it would be appropriate to start the antibiotic now.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much for this. It has at least put our minds at rest that it is not likely to be a lead up,to another heart attack but I should have also,said his temperature is low 35.2 ths morning and tonight 36.2

He started the antibiotics this afternoon . Thank you.

An infection can also lower the temperature. Of course, it is more common for an infection to raise the temperature, but the temperature can also be lowered. It is good that he started the antibiotics, but it also is important to be drinking fluids.

If I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.