Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi, I think I have RSI. I'm 15 years old and about a week ago

Customer Question

Hi, I think I have RSI. I'm 15 years old and about a week ago I started feeling pain/tingling in my upper arm and wrist. I feel it mainly when playing tennis and when gaming. I think the main cause is that on the controller, I was holding a button down with constant force instead of just pressing it once. I first had that about a year ago and it was only in my left thumb so I stopped playing for a week or so and It seemed to go away but it would come and go here and then. Anyway, here, I am a year later with pains in my arm? Should I just give it a good rest or do I need a splint or something?
Thanks,
Ben
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Before I answer can you tell me exactly where all the pain is?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In my wrists, top middle arm and upper arm. Sometimes tingling and on two occasions I have woken up with numb hands for just a few seconds.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Ben. Sorry for more questions but are you saying this is in both arms and hands? And all the fingers in both hands?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

both arms. The left arm problem was probably from putting constant pressure on the thumbstick instead of clicking it and the right was probably from the "kontrol freeks" which I put on my right thumbstick. There is no pain in my fingers and the pain seems to be getting better over the last week. It's not really that painful but can be a bit annoying.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Ben. Sounds like you have a combination of some carpal tunnel syndrome and maybe compression of your ulnar nerves at your elbows. This should all go away with time but for now you need to stop the repetitive actions and no tennis or gaming for the time being. I'd suggest you get braces for both wrists and wear them throughout the day until bedtime for about two weeks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what type of braces do I need and do I have to get them from the doctor? And I should use these for two weeks? Will I fully recover?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Here's the type of brace you need
http://www.cvs.com/shop/health-medicine/braces-supports/hand-wrist-braces/mueller-carpal-tunnel-wrist-stabilizer-small-medium-skuid-276159
And you can get something like that at any drug store or Medical Supply store. Use them for two weeks and you should recover fully
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** I started having this problem, When I start writing it instantly feels like my arm is really tired and feels like I have been writing for hours when I pick up a pen. It's only a tad painful though and a bit of throbbing. Can I write with the brace wrists? If not, can I wear it at night instead? Obviously I have school so I NEED to write!!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
If you look at the photo of the brace, your fingers are completely free so no problem with writing. And with the braces stabilizing your wrists, writing shouldn't be a problem with the getting tired. Let me know how it goes Ben and please remember to rate my service to you
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again, I was wondering whether this would do the job?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Actesso-Advanced-Support-Splint-Medium/dp/B007M291FY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415210204&sr=8-1&keywords=splint

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Looks fine Ben--that should do the trick. The idea is to completely immobilize the wrist and that will do it well
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do I know to get left or right. I heard that if you have CTS in one hand the symptoms transfer to both hands/arms. How do I know which arm had the original problem or should I just get it for both?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Get it for both wrists Ben since you have symptoms on both sides. There really isn't a transference from one side to the other.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I have the splint for both arms. Should/can I wear it at night as well? And how come you said I should wear them for just two weeks? Looking online it says you will make a full recovery in 5-6 months??

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry Ben. I was off. You can wear them at night but that really isn't necessary. Usually two weeks is all that's needed. If that amount of time doesn't do the trick you need to see a doctor about getting some physical therapy in addition to the braces