Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

my husband has nasopharyngeal cancer stage 4. we know the cancer

my husband has nasopharyngeal cancer stage 4. we know the cancer has spread to his lungs and liver. he recently had a blood test at the GPs, which shows he has high amounts of sugar in his blood his liver count? was also up by a couple of numbers. the GP is now testing him for diabetes. I am concerned this is another sign of the cancer spreading or am a panicking over nothing?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Did he have a recent imaging test of the abdomen, such as a CT scan?
If so, when was it done?
Did it only show tumour in the liver?
Or was there other tumour elsewhere in the abdomen?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

It is more likely that the elevated blood sugar is from the standard type of diabetes, not from metastasis of the cancer.

It is possible that a cancer can spread to the pancreas or around the pancreas, which can affect the ability of the pancreas to release insulin. However, this is not a common site of metastasis. It is very common for cancer to spread to the lung and liver, but it is much less common for cancer to spread to the pancreas.

If he had a recent imaging study and the only abdominal tumour was evident in the liver, then that is further evidence that the pancreas is not affected by the cancer. And if so, the elevated blood sugar is related to a standard type of diabetes.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.