Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

This afternoon, I was straining my neck looking behind me to

This afternoon, I was straining my neck looking behind me to the left for some minutes watching my dog looking over the side of my boat whilst we were out at sea
I looked forward and went very dizzy, near to black out, but not enough to not know to put the boat engine in neutral
I've been ok since but the shock has made me very stressed and nervous
Could you suggest what I should do please
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Charogat :

Hi, and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

Dr. Charogat :

What you are describing must have been quite terrifying, and I'm glad you were able to continue to function.

Dr. Charogat :

Two things that can cause this: and the first I'm less convinced of: You can have just moved your head in a way that caused the dizziness but is not something to be concerned about.

Dr. Charogat :

More worrisome - especially considering your age, is if you have some blockage in your carotid arteries. The arteries that provide blood to your brain.

Dr. Charogat :

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

Dr. Charogat :

My computer shows that you are currently offline. I will wait for a few minutes to see if you come back on, otherwise I will switch this to a Question/Answer format (which is more like email)

Dr. Charogat :

Whoops - there you are :)

Dr. Charogat :

I see now that you are "typing"

Customer: Blood pressure pills 160mg amy
Dr. Charogat :

amy?

Customer: 160mg amlodipine. / valsartan
Dr. Charogat :

Okay. Anything else? Any other medical problems? Any surgeries?

Customer: None
Customer: Doctor are you still there
Dr. Charogat :

Yes

Dr. Charogat :

For some reason your last couple of messages just showed up now

Dr. Charogat :

Have you had your carotid arteries checked ever? (This is done by ultrasound/sonogram)?

Customer: No
Dr. Charogat :

It sounds to me like you need to have this done as soon as you can. If there is some sort of plaque buildup in your carotid artery then depending on how much blockage there is, it might need to be taken care of right away.

Dr. Charogat :

As I said, it is possible it was just from the way you moved your head that caused your inner ear's balance mechanism to be thrown off for a second, but I'd check it out to make sure there is not a more serious problem.

Dr. Charogat :

If there is plaque in your carotid arteries it can lead to a stroke.

Dr. Charogat :

Does this help?

Dr. Charogat :

Would you like me to provide you with a link that might explain this some more?

Customer: Ok thank you
Dr. Charogat :

Please make sure you are satisfied that I have given you "excellent service" before rating my service.

Dr. Charogat :

Is there more I can answer to help you?

Dr. Charogat :

Here is another link. It is about balance disorder. Although you do not seem to have a balance disorder I am including this link because it explains how the inner ear controls your balance and may make you feel dizzy.

Customer: No i am clear thank you
Dr. Charogat :

I am much more concerned that it is a problem in your carotid artery.

Customer: I will go for a check up soonest thank you
Dr. Charogat :

No problem.

Dr. Charogat :

Please know that even after you have rated me you can come back at any time to resume this conversation free of charge. It will be in a q/a format which is more like email than chat.

Dr. Charogat :

G- Bless

Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience: Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.