Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Playing football & got a hard bump into my ribs & now sore

Customer Question

Playing football & got a hard bump into my ribs & now sore left rib cage even when I try sit forward . Doesn't feel sore to touch but when I do can fell it under my left nipple area .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

ouch.

Dr. David :

you could have a rib fracture.

Dr. David :

you should go to the ER or urgent care center and get a rib xray serious or CT scan of the chest to look for rib fractures.

Dr. David :

you should be icing the area as well to decrease inflammation and swelling and pain.

JACUSTOMER-fo71vl0r- : Is it worth having a bath also or just use icing to calm it down ? On another nite if I have a referral form from my gp to Ross hall which i
Dr. David :

yes you can take a bath

Dr. David :

and ice it afterwards

JACUSTOMER-fo71vl0r- : Got in October last year to go to Ross hall for another issue but did not go as I am scared is it still valid ?
JACUSTOMER-fo71vl0r- : Sorry did u understand that ?
Dr. David :

you injured your ribs last october? 2013?

Dr. David :

there most likely is still scar tissue there.

JACUSTOMER-fo71vl0r- : No sorry that only happened at the weekend I meant I got a referral from my gp in Bothwell this time last year I have never been to Ross hall about as I have pmi for but never went as I was scared & have put it off
Dr. David :

I see

Dr. David :

well sounds like this would be a good time to go and see a doctor there.

Dr. David :

don't be scared of going to see a doctor.

Dr. David :

most likely just a rib fracture. or bone bruise

Dr. David :

call and make an appointment to see a doctor.

Dr. David :

are you willing to do that?

JACUSTOMER-fo71vl0r- : I thought that but it will be the same consultation & outcome so can I use the referral letter I have from last year & is it still valid to use tomorrow ??
Dr. David :

yes, most likely the referral should still be fine.

JACUSTOMER-fo71vl0r- : Ok thanks David ! Do u know what the procedure is for a swollen varicose vein on my full leg would be ? I heard it would be an incision top & bottom of leg to take it out ! It is causing some pain but also visually not nice .
Dr. David :

first step is cold compresses and NSAIDs

Dr. David :

you could have thrombophlebitis

Dr. David :

or superficial inflammation of superficial veins.

Dr. David :

antibiotic therapy and ibuprofen and warm compresses can often help swollen varicose veins

JACUSTOMER-fo71vl0r- : I'm sure my gp told me it was more cosmetic however when it got a bump it was seriously swollen which alarmed me ! Would like to know the process of getting it removed as it embarrasses me hence the reason I have never went before . I appreciate ur time for responding to me !
Dr. David :

for bad swollen varicose veins, it is a cosmetic procedure to remove

Dr. David :

usually it is injected with saline or other sclerosing agents to shrivel up the swollen vein.

Dr. David :

so it is not a vein bipass type of surgery.

JACUSTOMER-fo71vl0r- : So what you are saying it is an injection ? Thank u for that !
Dr. David :

yes, for treatment of varicose veins.

JACUSTOMER-fo71vl0r- : Appreciate your help once again ! You doctors are great . Thank you ! Bag of peas on the ribs first thing tomorrow . Cheers & have a good night
Dr. David :

good luck

Dr. David :

please leave positive feedback below.

Dr. David :

thanks.