Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am constantly tired and need cat naps, sometimes I will nod

I am constantly tired and need cat naps, sometimes I will nod off for seconds whilst playing bridge. However if I have had a meal during the day I am absolutely fine all the time also ok if I have a chocolate bar or a drink of tea WITH sugar. I'm trying to lose weight so I am not starving myself just trying not to indulge in items containing sugar ...... I have too much iron in my blood and have to have a pint of blood removed on a regular basis, apparently my count was over a 1000 and it's down to about 150 now and getting lower all the time....... Your view or diagnosis would be appreciated, Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
How long has this been bothering you?
Have you ever had any problems with blood sugar, either too high or too low?
What chronic medicines are you taking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Problem started at very low level about 35 years ago and did not really start at this level until about 4years ago
According to St. Mary's Hospital Paddington my Blood Pressure and sugar are at acceptable levels infact they were surprised to see that the levels were so good.
I'm not taking any medicines except a daily quarter aspirin.
I'm not diabetic.
I have celulitus in my right leg and a cartiledge in left knee, they will not operate because of right leg.
Thank you for the additional information.

There are several issues to consider in this situation.

The reason that I ask about blood sugar is because you note that the symptom can be prevented by eating a meal, chocolate bar, or tea with sugar. The issue is whether the blood sugar is dropping too low at times. When there are episodes during which the blood sugar drops too low, the blood sugar will be normal between episodes. So, the fact that the blood sugar is normal when routine labs are checked during an office visit does not preclude the possibility of this problem. Accurate diagnosis would require checking the blood sugar when symptoms are present. Since the symptoms are unpredictable, the usual best method would be to use a home blood sugar monitor. These are commonly used to monitor blood sugar at home for diabetics, but also can be used to check for periods of low blood sugar. These are readily available over the counter, and frequently are offered for free by the companies that make the monitors, although it may require searching the internet for the free offers.

The other common reason for frequent episodes of falling asleep is when there is a primary problem with sleep. The most common is a condition where dee levels of sleep do not occur because of obstruction of the airways, called obstructive sleep apnea. The test that can detect this and many other sleep problems is an overnight sleep study, also called a polysomnogram.

So, at this point, it would be appropriate to check the blood sugar during these episodes and to discuss with your doctor about getting a sleep study done.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your adivice, just one question ---- apart from carrying a sweet bar --- is there anything that I may take or do to prevent it happening.
If it is from low blood sugar, the usual first-line recommendation is to each six smaller meals per day, but it would also be OK to carry a sweet bar to eat if the symptoms develop despite the meal adjustment.