Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am a 31 year old female. For the past few days I have been

I am a 31 year old female. For the past few days I have been experiencing spells of suddenly very hot and red cheeks, ears and neck which also makes by eyes burn. This comes on suddenly and instantly makes me feel weak and tired, nausea, increased need to urinate and gives me a mild headache. Usually the rest of my body feels cold. Placing cold packs on my face helps relieve the heat. These spells tend to last from 30-90 minutes and are often followed by me looking tired and sometimes pale. Food doesn't appear to be a trigger because happens at seemingly random times throughout the day no matter if I've recently eaten or not. I have experienced flushed cheeks in the past but rarely and not with the accompanying symptoms.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Is the redness like a splotchy rash or is it your entire face and neck? How many times a day does this happen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's not splotchy but is only in distinct areas. It usually starts around the apples of my cheeks and spreads outward to my hairline and down to the front sides of my neck, but a few times it has started at my ears and moved to my cheeks and neck. It is never on my forehead, chin or nose. It has been happening 1-3 times a day.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK When it happens do you have any heart racing or palpitations?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And you mentioned the need to urinate--any urge to have a bowel movement at the same time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No just the increased urination. Sometimes every 10-15 minutes during these spells and then back to normal when they are over.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK and we can continue after this if you'd like. Two possibilities here. One would be a rare condition called carcinoid syndrome. That's a tumor in the intestines that suddenly releases serotonin and causes the symptoms you describe. The other possibility would be a cardiac arrythmia called supraventriular atrial tachycardia where the heart suddenly races and the blood pressure can fall. I can't narrow things down more than that but you need to see your doctor about this just as soon as possible and get blood work, urine studies, an EKG and echocardiogram, and perhaps a Holter monitor--a 24/7 EKG monitor