Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have a reduced control in my right hand. Struggling to write

I have a reduced control in my right hand. Struggling to write correctly. Feel the hand is a little weak.happes from time to time. I am 48 year old male
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Since how long are you having this problem?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do you have any other medical problem?

Customer:

I have high cholesterol. I have had this issue a few times in the last 6 months. I do suffer from panic attacks from time to time, I have a cold at the moment. I had a full medical in the summer and no issues were identified. It is probably fair to say that I suffer from stress. I would consider myself to be unfit

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you on anything for your stress?

Customer:

No but have to say that not really that stressed

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I personally think that medications that help with stress may help you.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Does anyone in your family has this problem?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Or in other words do you have any family history of such problem?

Customer:

No family history of this issue.

Customer:

Do you think that this hand issue is merely stress

Dr. Shahzad MD :

yes I think it is either stress or you are having what is called as 'essential tremor' for which you will require treatment with propranolol.

Customer:

Can you explain 'essential tremor' and what is propranolol - does it require a prescription

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Propranolol is a medication that basically reduces the heart rate but is also used to treat essential tremor that you are having. Essential tremor is a tremor that one has when performing some activity like writing.

Customer:

So in short my heart rate is too fast due to stress

Dr. Shahzad MD :

No

Dr. Shahzad MD :

This particular medication helps with heart rate but in your case it is used for the tremor.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It is a prescription medication.

Customer:

I am inclined just to let it pass

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But it has been six months like you mention

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Mention essential tremor to your GP.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think he should be able to either give you a prescription for it or refer you.

Customer:

I just get from time to time and it passes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

ok, if it is not bothering you then you may not require any treatment for it.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So then I agree that you can let it pass.

Customer:

Many thanks for all your help

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kindest regards

Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine