Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hello Dr hope ur having a good day.. Another question about

Customer Question

Hello Dr hope ur having a good day.. Another question about my HR today.. I noticed on the drive hope that my HR had dropped to 44 bpm.. Why would it be dropping?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Remind me Shazad--are you on any medications? And how exactly are you measuring your heart rate while driving?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No meds apart from lansaprazole and co-codamol 30/500.. I check it with a finger pulse oximeter
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Are you sure the oximeter is accurate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes.. Ive tried 3 different ones.. Would the co-codamol affect the HR?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the codeine in that could lower your heart rate. How were you feeling when your rate was 44?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was feeling my normal self even at 44 .. Now lying down and its around 47-48
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--is your cardiologist aware that your rate can be that low?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well the other day when I saw him I told him that whilst I sat in my car before the appointment to see him it was around 48.. He wasn't concerned.. Maybe it was 44 because I was driving for an hour and was relaxed without much movement and also the codeine had relaxed me more
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Then I'm still not concerned Shazad and again you probably have an athlete's heart--not the worrisome kind, just someone who'd in good physical shape. That combined with the co-comadol would explain the low rate but this isn't from your septum
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's always been low as far back as I can remember in my early 20's it used to be in the 70's.. Then in my early 30's it used to around 60 and sometimes 55 then gradually since then it has stayed around 55.. And now when Im totally relaxed its around 48.. So you totally believe that it's my fitness levels? I suppose I am fitter than I have ever been even tho I'm 40 next year.. So you are discounting any possibility that I coukd be heading towards a cardiac arrest?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No possibility of heading towards cardiac arrest I promise you. Yes, you just are lucky enough to have a very fit heart. So both I and your cardiologist are saying let the worry go
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think the codeine has a big part in it? I take 60mg codeine.. Ive read online that it can lower the HR
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It probably is a factor but that isn't a dangerous thing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So no reason to hurry to A&E? I was contemplating the idea eatlier but decided against it because no symptoms .. Feel a bit tired but that's normal after a day at work
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No you certainly don't need to do that and I'd suggest you leave off checking your heart rate for a few days.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lol I knew you would say that, I saw my gp yesterday and she advised me to stop checking too.. So definately nothin to worry about and definately not my septum related .. (I know I know like a broken record I keep going on about that)
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You are a broken record without a broken heart my friend. Definitely not your septum. Seems like the only one in the group here that's worried is you
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks will be back later before bed no doubt ..
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I'll be here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr, an update for you, my hr seems to be back to its normal range after I'd eaten etc.. It's back to 50-55 and occasionally drops to 48 :-) .. So good job I didn't end up going to A&E
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good Shazad but shame on you for checking it yet again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lol I had just for testing purposive.. Could have been low because of dehydration too.. I don't drink as much water as I should do.. Will try keeping away from the oximeter now.. So are you signing off my heart as perfectly fit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Haha just found this online... This guy sounds just like me :
I have had a problem with focusing on my heartbeat for a couple years now. I am 33 5'9" 155# ***** toned and workout about 3-4 times weekly. I have done alot of cardio workouts at the gym. Stair climbing, eliptical machines, etc. My rate when I wake up in the AM is usually 42-45. When I go to the gym, it gets up to about 110-120. It also recovers quickly. I have had every test in the book done. And I also see 2 different cardiologists. Sometimes when it is this slow, I feel a little off balance and a little tired. But I also checked one day after having a stress test and I felt very dizzy driving home, of course I had nothing to eat all day and this was at like 5pm, my heart rate was about 55-60. Both doctors think this is due to anxiety, which I see a therapist weekly for. They say I am too focused on it and to stop checking it. Now my questions:
1. My pulse throughout the day is usually 45-48. Is this bad?
2. I sometimes feel pauses, not like the pauses you get with PAC's or PVC's, where you can feel the early beat, they just feel like pauses. Both doctors say I have sinus pauses during sleep where my rate gets into the 30s. Are sinus pauses bad?
They feel like my heart stops for a couple seconds. On one holter test, the longest one was 2.1 sec, during sleep. On the same test I had 145 late beats in 24 hours. What are late beats?
3. Last holter was 4 months ago. Had an episode of pauses for like an hour, and told doc, and nothing but PAC's PVCs and aberrant beats showed up during this time. What are aberrant?
AVg rate was 45. Is this SSS??
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Your heart is fine and I'm a certified heart mechanic and your warranty is still in effect. You do have a problem with the accoutrements with your vehicle--the pulse oximeter is draining voltage from your brain, so you need to ditch it. And, no, your tank wasn't dry--this wouldn't be from dehydration. And send that other guy to me--he keeps getting distracted and keeps running his vehicle off the road
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lol ok... Goodnight doc
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Nite