Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS; MD (Psychiatry), MSc Health Informatics
4079050

I've been battling with depression for most of my life. Over

I've been battling with depression for most of my life. Over the last few years I feel like I've been on a rollercoaster of emotions. I go through phases where I'm so up that it's borderline inappropriate and then I'm down, feeling hopeless and worthless. Recently I started cutting again. Right now I feel worthless, like I'm a waste of space and I honestly don't want to carry on living. Anti depressants don't work for me. I need help. Where do I go?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I still need help but if no one can help me could I get a refund?

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 2 years ago.
I can understand your situation and what you must be going through currently.
You have mentioned that you are suffering from depression but it appears to me that you are also experiencing mood swings which is not characteristic of depression.
I am recoomending you an online screening test, kindly try it and let me know about your score so that we can discuss futher.
http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/bipolarquiz.htm
Vikas
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello, thank you for responding. I scored 53 on the yes.

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for trying the quiz.
This score is suggestive of a possibility of Bipolar disorder rather than depression in your case.
In a patient suffering from Bipolar disorder, antidepressants alone dose not helps and in fact can make the symptoms worse. In such patients, mood stabilizers are the drug of choice which can bring quick relief in most cases.
I am not saying that you are suffering from Bipolar disorder but you should consult a Psychiatrist in my view for proper diagnosis and management. Your GP can refer you to a psychiatrist.
Kindly go through the link given below to know about Bipolar disorder in detail.
http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/healthadvice/problemsdisorders/bipolardisorder.aspx
I hope this helps, please feel free to discuss further if you have any other query.
Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor
Experience: MBBS; MD (Psychiatry), MSc Health Informatics